Go Back   TechArena Community > Hardware > Hardware Peripherals
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 20-07-2011

Problem with turning computer on

I'm having problems turning my computer on. The only way I can get it to run is if I if I use a wire to short the green and black wires on the psu. If I do this the computer will run fine but I have to leave the jumper wire in other wise the computer will turn off completely. If I don't use the wire the light on the motherboard will turn on but nothing else will run. I replaced the psu to see if that was the problem but I still have to jump it with the new one. I've been running the computer with the jumper in for a couple weeks and everything seems fine I'm just not sure if running it like this could cause some serious problems.
Old 20-07-2011

Re: Problem with turning computer on

Am sure it is due to some fault with your Power Supply or any other hardware but probably with the power supply. See if you have any other PSU, replace the same and see if it works fine. You can also check out these articles with the same problem:
Pc not turning on
computer not turning on
Old 21-07-2011

I tried it with two different power supplies and the issues arises with both. I can get the computer to work with both psu if I leave in the jumper cable but without it, the computer wont run. Since the computer runs fine with the jumper in, I guess I'm wondering if any harm could come from running the computer like this.
Old 22-07-2011

I assume that the green wire is a ground and the black is a very low voltage line that will start the PSU when grounded. You cannot easily get shocked from it. One thing to watch out for is make sure to use a WIRE not a paper clip if you are going to do this long term. Some paper clips will heat up and could cause issues because of the heat (same with small gauge wire). Other than that it is fine to run the computer.
Old 22-07-2011

I'm using a wire so hopefully everything will be okay. Thanks for the response!

TechArena Community > Hardware > Hardware Peripherals
Tags: , , ,