Thread: Samsung CD/DVD Burner Stopped Working, Please help!!

Samsung CD/DVD Burner Stopped Working, Please help!!

I have a Samsung Writemaster CD/DVD Burner that has recently stopped working for me. It has been a great drive, with no problems at all (until now) for over 500 CD/DVD burns.

Here's the kicker, it works great in other computers, my nephew just used it to install win 7 on a new system he just built, then used it to burn after the OS was installed. I can burn just fine with any other working DVD drive, just not mine, lol. I used a friends Lite On drive and another friends ASUS drive both worked great, I'm sure if I bought another Samsung drive it'd prolly work, JUST NOT THIS ONE, lol.

I flashed the bios on the drive to a newer version to no avail. It's detected by windows as working, and the drivers are current. The only thing I haven't tried is a bios flash on my mother board to see if that would work. My computer gets sluggish for like 5 mins then pops up some message that say something along the lines of "improper media, insert new media" (don't remember the exact message) when ever i try to burn or read a disc of any kind. It wont ever boot windows from that drive in bios, but other drive work fine.

I'm out of ideas at this point and I'm prolly gonna replace the drive later, but i was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what this could be? I've never had an issue like this before and it stumps a lot of my friends as well. Any ideas?¿?

Re: Samsung CD/DVD Burner Stopped Working, Please help!!

Can you please answer some questions first of all whether you had uninstall any supplied software for the one you removed? Did you install some new software? What operating system do you have? What jumper settings are you using or have you tried? Have you tried running with ALL non-W$ software removed on just the W$ drivers?

Im using windows 7, no programs/drivers have been changed or installed between the time the time it worked and didnt work (that i remember right off hand), it's and SATA drive, and i dont know what you mean by W$. you sound like you know alot more that i do about it so your prolly the guy i need to talk to, lol.

this is the only drive i had used in the computer prior to the issue, i bought it with the rest of the system when i built it. i've used 2 other sense.

Does the drive show in My Computer and Device manager? Are there any Yellow exclamation marks in Device manager? Download the CD-DVD-Fix file from here and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it. A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need to reboot for the change to take effect.

the rive does appear in both my computer and device manager, and there are no Yellow exclamation marks on either, i'll check out the program you linked for sure tonight