Thread: Do you think an Old damaged PSU can be the reason for slow performance?

Do you think an Old damaged PSU can be the reason for slow performance?

I have a PC from using from 2004, consisting of Northwood Pentium 4 3.2 GHz, 1 GB DDR RAM 3200, 160 GB HD IDE (WD), integrated ati 9100 (aka 8500) graphics, and a 250watt power supply transportation. The system seems rather slow. I remember my old Pentium 4 2.8 GHz with 2 GB of RAM the machine was significantly faster than that, though I had GeForce 6200 onwards. Could be due to the power supply is exhausted? I heard that you can make a difference, and this system was built in 2004. And 250 watts is cutting a little close with a lot of systems (this is a minicube transport, and is likely to be a mini-ITX or Mini-ATX PSU - definitely not the same size at all). Could the problem be? Or is there something else missing? That system runs XP SP3. I do not remember that this system is slow before - but then, Microsoft service pack seems to adding swelling.

Re: Do you think an Old damaged PSU can be the reason for slow performance?

Hey friend 250w PSU is probably a little weak. I'm not familiar with the graphics package, but either way, that power supply is on the edge. Besides, you know that over time, debris builds up which can slow things down, so they run cleaner and check the file fragmentation. Make sure everything is working as fresh as if something is a little hot, which will delay things. I hope you get it. All the best!

Power supplies are very cheap. You can get a new convey service 300 watt power supply under $ 10 with a Google product search. It would not be more than $ 20 in it, and simply change hands. If the current offer is out of specification, you may cook your computer parts. Fans not spinning fast enough. Drive motors drawing more current and heat. All things to work harder and hotter and less healthy in all sorts of ways.

If those are your chipsets temperature, then I think you should be very happy. Mine is running at 85C when kept idle. I was uncomfortable about the bridge north of here running around 81C when playing very demanding Witcher 2 game which gives lots of load to the CPU(usually around 75 º C at rest). The stupid machine I'm using right now peaks around 127C, when the load is too high.

27C as the temperature outside is a kind of evil. Thermal runaway can occur at temperatures lower than that, since the temperature outside a chip is more than an "average" temperature for the whole thing. So the individual items inside can be much hotter. It should be noted that water boils at 100 ° C around, according to their height. That's one of the plates MSI Micro ATX (785 if I remember correctly). Tiny heatsink on the NB with an air flow restriction great big plate. I try to avoid the stress of the machine, as I think about 120 is the upper limit.

I've seen the Northbridge going to 110 ° C here and that is when I added the fan heat sink and eventually smart fan disabled (low temperature around 30 ° C). Indeed, the Northbridge does not have a lid, which would help to dissipate heat from the core which spread over a larger area and a larger area in contact with the heatsink. As it is, is directly from the core to the heatsink. Just try it out. All the best!