Thread: How to set up all in one Lexmark X4270 printer on hp netbook

How to set up all in one Lexmark X4270 printer on hp netbook

I have an HP Netbook computer, running Win XP Home SP3 and, usually, MSIE 8 though I also have the Google Chrome browser and sometimes use that. I have never used a printer with this computer, but now wish to connect the Lexmark X4270. The setup guide for the all-in-one printer takes you through all of the physical steps, indicating that you can use it free-standing without a computer attachment. Then, it goes on to connecting to the computer and {as it actually states} installing the driver from the enclosed disc.

Re: How to set up all in one Lexmark X4270 printer on hp netbook

Hello I am having same query. As my netbook has no media drive, and the printer is several years old, I figure the way to go is downloading from Lexmark bypassing any need for a media drive and getting the most up to date version of the driver. Are there any special procedures or cautions of which I should be aware in downloading, installing and activating the driver from the Lexmark site? Once installed, should the printer driver be equally happy with whatever browser I might be using? Or is the OS in between in all respects and if so, should it be equally capable?

I've no experience with Lexmark and am not much impressed by their website. It looks as though you can download a driver from the Downloads site and if you use the Filter function end up with one for XP and not Windows 7. But it's pretty small in size and seems only to be a limited driver and not the usual software so I don't be familiar with what you do for the general control software used for such a complex machine.

I would install the software that came with the printer. This should fix you up and the printer will be available to use. Windows uses or has the printer drivers installed on it for that printer from the software you have installed. If there is an update it will be offered either by the software you contain installed all the way through a connection to the Internet, or an update may be offered at the Windows update site when you check for updates.

Hello thank you for your reply. It looks as though you can download a driver from the Downloads site and if you use the Filter function end up with one for XP and not Windows 7! But it's pretty small in size and seems only to be a limited driver and not the usual software so I don't know what you do for the general control software for such a complex machine. So if you have any other solution about it then please share your ideas with me thank you.

Rather than go to Downloads and Filter, I did a search on my Model number "X4270". That took me to a page offering variously a quick setup sheet, a user manual, etc. And a link for downloads. Clicking that displayed a well identified list of drivers for my printer model according to OS and it is easy to identify the one for Win XP. [Although, the name of the download file is rather arcane] I don't know enough about such things as to know what is "small in size" for a printer driver, but it shows up as 25.3 MB. Does that match what you were calling small?