Thread: Looking for Lightning Protection

Looking for Lightning Protection

I subsist in an area prone to recurrent brutal thunderstorms. Many, as well as myself, have suffered harm to its tools during these events through the telephone line connections. The current protection device, which also fit in a power supply battery backup, successfully blocked a recent incident, but now needs to be repaired as a result. I notion it might be a better idea is a small plastic box equipped with input and output fuses. The fuse for easy replacement and low-cost or fuses inside the amplifier would be less than you can fry a modem or worse. No one appear to offer something like this, though. Not being an electrical engineer who needed something that would make this concept viable?

Re: Looking for Lightning Protection

I am not an engineer either, but what I believe is that you get what you pay for. As for ordinary brains told me that over-voltage lightning escapes with a fuse cheaper in the time it takes to record. We're talking milliseconds here and that your surge protector says it needs repair work to protect your project for a large over-voltage. Unplug this apparatus during lightning storms. Predominantly ground.

Higher-level guards and UPS units have a phone line protection, instead of $ 50,000 (or more) insurance policies where you pay to replace or repair any tools that was smashed by a power spike connected to the unit. These charge extra, but in areas with lots of lightning, perhaps worth it. On the whole, the ground back flash causing damage not only the team but to TV, alarms and other electronic devices.

I bought a "Belkin Surge Protector" a green box for $ 69.95 USD. This unit also offers everything needed for protection! It also offers 4 outputs protected phone / fax / modem. If you buy one, be sure to look in the box for "safe and essential protection against surges - even lightning". Needless to say, his advice on the use remains a surge suppressor must be heard. On the one hand, people forget to push or pull the two switches "off" position after using their computers.

In fact, a fuse does not work, or a switch. The problem is that the speed of lightning, and if it does actually vaporize the vapor fuse, a circuit road. You cannot win, you cannot break even. Suppressor team works by shorting out power lines in the case very, very high. The components that do this are also fast (lightning still win a lot of time). The MOV is a common component. A lot of surge protectors have an indicator that shows that are still functional, this is due to be slaughtered in case of a lightning strike in a last ditch line of defense, then it will not work again.

There are no cheap solutions that will not turn off the electronic system in question. Personally I would expend more than 30 minutes to pass by my house and away from it all, if I were so inclined. I was lucky (lucky, in this case) and the cables in my residence is underground for many miles. I yet get something, but it is much rigid to do stern dent because of all my surroundings (a thick neighborhood, by the way) that gives my surge suppressors a better chance to work and survive a strike. The only lightning spoil suffered was garage door, which had no guard at the time. He did so after well.