Thread: Unable to boot from optical drive in Lenovo Thinkcentre

Unable to boot from optical drive in Lenovo Thinkcentre

Hi guys I have Lenovo Thinkcentre M58e computer. I have recently installed windows 7 in my computer before that I was using windows vista in my computer. Now I am facing one problem with my computer. Now I am not able to boot from CD ROM bit I am only able to boot from my hard drive. Please tell me what I should do to get rid of this problem. if anyone have same problem and have solution then please help me.

Re: Unable to boot from optical drive in Lenovo Thinkcentre

It looks like you have not set your CD Rom as first boot device and that is why you are facing this problem. First of all you have to check whether your CD Rom is selected as a first boot device in your BIOS or not, if it is not selected as a first boot device then you have to first set your CD Rom as first boot device and after that you will not face this problem in your computer.

If you don’t know how to set CD Rom as a first Boot device then you can follow this procedure.
    • First of all you have to go in the BIOS setting by pressing Delete button when you start the computer.
    • Now you will see the options like Main, advanced, power, boot in your BIOS screen from that you have to select boot option.
    • Now in that option you will be able to see option for 1st boot device and 2nd boot device.
    • Now select the CD ROM as a first boot device.
    • After setting that press escape key and select save and exit option.
    • After doing that restart the computer and check whether you are able to boot from the CD or not.

According me after doing that you will be able to boot from your CD ROM.

If you are still having the same problem after trying the above steps then I think you should try to check whether you’re the Bootable CD which you are trying is working perfectly or not. if you have any other bootable CD then insert that CD and after that check whether you are able to boot from that CD or not. If you are getting the same problem with different CD then I think there might be something wrong with your CD ROM. I hope this information will be helpful to you.

I have set my CD Rom as 1st boot device by following your above mentioned steps bit after setting my ROM as 1st boot device when I tried to boot from CD at that time also I get the same problem. I have also checked my CD ROM with other computer and it is working fine and my bootable CD is also working perfectly. Are there any possibilities of having issues with my BIOS? If you have any idea related to that then please reply me.

Yes you are right there might be possibilities of having bug in your current BIOS and you can solve this problem by updating your BIOS. If you want to update the BIOS in your Lenovo Thinkcentre M58e computer then first you have to download the updated BIOS file form internet and after that you have to bootable USB flash drive of that file and then you will be able to update the BIOS. Normally creating the bootable CD for BIOS option is very nice option to update the BIOS but in your case it might not possible as you are facing issues with your CD ROM and that is why I am telling you to create bootable USB flash drive.

Your given solution solved my problem. after referring your given solution I have downloaded BIOS update file from internet and after that I have created bootable USB flash drive and after that I have done BIOS update in my computer and after updating the BIOS I am able to boot from my optical drive in my computer. Thank you so much for providing me all useful information. I really appreciate your help.