Thread: New generation of Momentus XT

New generation of Momentus XT

I am looking for the new generation of the Momentus XT. It will be really great they will release the advanced product for Momentus XT as all the minor issues that are there in the original one will be removed. I am more interested in getting the 16 GB version of this drive. So let’s see if they are going to release something like this. Please post your view regarding this so that it can be noticeable to most of the people. Thank you.

Re: New generation of Momentus XT

16 GB version of this drive of this drive will be really great but if they make it that way then this will raise its price to a great extend and everyone will not be able to afford the price for this. And that is the reason that I think that 8GB SLC will be good. Not very high and not very low. It’s perfect and if they are making it that way then I will be happy with that. Let’s see the upcoming comments that what other people think about this.

I am completely disagree with the above post that 16 GB will cost more. Its is pretty cheap nowadays and anyone can afford that. If they are making it with 32 GB memory or more than that then it may cost high and can be problematic for many of the people to purchase that. First generation of that comes in may last year so we can expect that they will release second generation in this year. I am eagerly waiting for that.

Revisions for the hard disk, etc. seem to come out intermittently. I can sometimes go 2-3 years between updates. Hopefully this may not as long though. My wish would be to see the tray of 750 GB and 2 of the 25 nm chips 8 GB SLC when they are available for 16 GB. As the 25 nm chips are more likely to slow channel 2 hopefully offset the speed, as are single 4GB chip now. I'm afraid it will not improve soon, because they have no need for it. They are the greatest drive in traditional and SSDs are yet too expensive to be a big opposition and most significantly, no one have a hybrid on market.

They may upgrade that but possibly to the size 640/750GB and not something through the cache. As there is no competition for the cache, but people who want bigger might look elsewhere. I have no statistics to back it up, it looks like the xt was a very good unit sales. Just cannibalize their own products so to speak. I'm also a little puzzled by the other hybrid manufacturers have not gone themselves. It just seems like the most logical evolution in the hard disk.

I do not believe all laptops using zm68 so it will remain a market for hybrids. That's assuming that the market really wants hybrid. What seems to be happening is that the engines do not want to bulk hybrids as a standard configuration (may be a matter of costs and not through the qualifing process) and for the purpose of the "high end" really a SSD seems to be what the markets are looking for.

I am very anxious to see something better, but if you just suck more or less corrected errors with the current drive and sold again. I hope you will give us more cache instead of increasing their unit size of 750 GB. Maybe I'll do as to release the 750 w / more cache compared to the 500 GB model. The Hybrid Drive definitely has its uses, but hopefully not on the price of things otherwise people would be better with a SSD.