Thread: How to reformat the dvr hard drive and use it in pc

How to reformat the dvr hard drive and use it in pc

I have a DVR which has stopped working. It is not reparable. Now it has a hard drive in it. I want some help to use it in my pc. This would help me to extend the space. The entire unit is not working so I can atleast save some part and use it in my existing pc. This will also help me to recover some loss. What are possible solutions available through which I can use the drive in my system.

If it is the regular internal hard drive then you can just remove it and connect to your pc. It might be having a sata or ide connector. If not then you have to find a compatible adapter for the same. Just format the drive through Disk Management and check back. Most of this dvr comes loaded with a regular hard drive. But sometime due to different firmware this does not work. There are adapters available on the web that you buy and use.

If you can open the box then just try that and post a photo here. I can help you to give you a working solution. I had did that at my friends home. His DVR was not working. When I opened it there was a 80GB hard drive in it. I had removed that configured it on the pc and it is working fine. I do not really think you will need any kind of third party adapter for that. You can also use that as a external hard drive through enclosure.