Thread: Repair dead optical drives in game consoles

Repair dead optical drives in game consoles

Right now I am looking for a proper way for fixing game console optical drives. I know that you can replace the dead optical drive in game console with the new one but sometime it is too expensive. However what my intention is to use the optical drive present in some old computer and use it in this game console. Do you think that it can be achievable? I know that Optical drives are automatic drives that contain moving components. Furthermore, electrical units of the drives don't last eternally moreover. They can expire otherwise corrupt eventually. So how can we fix this?

Re: Repair dead optical drives in game consoles

I had concerning a dozen optical drives that all operated magnificently and had extensive, creative lives, except finally got put on hold because of read/write errors. So opened and did some motorized preservation. I've had little luck by just doing that formerly, except it was extremely hit-and-miss. However what I did dissimilar this occasion was standardize the potentiometers leading laser diodes. Even as this does amplify laser power. As diodes degrade, power toward the laser is condensed, thus dipping resistance (rising power) brings it support to standard.

It is actually easy. Just take separately the optical drive, find the diode potentiometer, and decrease resistance. You must tweak the potentiometer single method and afterward calculate resistance to notice which method is which earliest, certainly. Afterward, on one occasion you do, simply tweak it to on 500 ohms below what it was prior to. Place the drive back mutually, and next check the drive to observe if it works at the moment. Most diodes actually don't last long devoid of a definite resistance (in my case 3-3.5k ohms appears ordinary), therefore be cautious. Just lower down it in as far as you want to, and no further.

The laser diode potentiometers are into dissimilar spots, orientations, and can rotate either mode, the entire part is depends on the brand. Still then, there are frequent in any case 2 potentiometers on the laser gathering, and the one toward the dvd diode diverges in orientation regarding the further one(s) also. Up to now I've simply ever had issues out of the dvd diodes, I think for the reason that more present goes from first to last them, and they are utilized more.

I don’t think that you should really need to get the old optical drive for your game console. In my opinion it would be better if you make use of the new drive if the old one is dead. You should get the original and compatible drive for your console. In order to get the better experience from the game it would be better buy a branded one. Some games will not able to run properly on some drives which were not created for those consoles.

Dead optical drive can be repaired in any manner because there are mostly the mechanical parts and few parts are made up of electrical and electronics with circuit board integrated in it. The connectors are the important units along with the laser diodes which read the disk. If this gets damaged then it will gonna cost you much, which amount somewhat similar to the new drive. So it would be waste of time for repair.

Optimistically you won’t come across whichever rings of death, non-responsive optical drives otherwise additional Xbox failings. You may perhaps for all time purchase another cooling component to band to the rear of your 360, an excellent thought if you bring into play it plenty (except piercing). Ultimately while your console may expire and if the guarantee isn’t on your region in that case a home-made repair is your barely choice. I simply expect the future generation game consoles are further dependable than the previous.