Thread: Showing 16 GB when inserting new 250 GB HDD

Showing 16 GB when inserting new 250 GB HDD

Few days back I had purchased new 250 GB HDD for Xbox. I had replaced it with the older one and then restart it. I tried contacting the seller and he said that it the problem with my system and not the hard disk. I don’t know my new 250GB hard disk is showing only 16GB. Can anyone suggest me what to do? As it is making me tensed as I had brought a new hard disk.

Re: Showing 16 GB when inserting new 250 GB HDD

You cannot do this with a 250GB hard disk. If you were using the 360 hard drives then, with the help of the USB cable can format it. But later it will be only recognized as the normal USB which can only allow you to have 16GB of the access. So if you try purchasing it then, it is of full wastage of money and space. Instead use the regular external PC HDD, which would be much cheaper and will be used for streaming purpose also.

Have you checked in the BIOS? If no then try upgrading your BIOS. As once I also brought the external hard disk of 160 GB which showed me only of 32 GB. So I thought of checking it in the BIOS, so I went into the BIS and looked in to it. There I could see that it was only showing 32 GB of space. So I tried upgrading it, then I found that I got my additional 100 GB for which I was looking on to it. so I think you can also upgrade your BIOS and see.

You can check your hard drive by going into the BIOS setup. You can do this by simply pressing on the DELETE button when your system boots up. If you find that your hard drive is been detected over there properly, then I don’t think that there will be a problem in your hard drive. Then it might be a problem with your Windows. If you find that the windows are giving the problem, then make sure that you have an updated Windows.

If you are unable to get through the situation, then you can go on to the shop and identify which manufacturer has made that hard drive. After that you can visit the website of the drive that you have, and find out whether there is any software or program available for the hard drive that will help you to setup your drive automatically. I have seen many of the manufactures that they have software that will automatically detect your drive.

Thank you guys! I have tried everything to check my hard disk. I even tried to check in my friends system, and then too it was showing the same error. I also reformatted it and checked but still of no use. So at last I contacted the manufacture of my hard disk and gave it to get it checked. They said that there is a problem with the hard disk, so they said that they will be replacing it.