Thread: How can i install SATA Bluray drive in Old PC with IDE optical rays and SATA HDD.

How can i install SATA Bluray drive in Old PC with IDE optical rays and SATA HDD.

Well Hi I have a computer at home. My computer has a SATA HDD, but the optical bay is IDE. Can I install a bluray drive in the SATA port? How will that affect the HDD since they are both using SATA? Please tell me how can I install it on the machine? Also tell me that while connecting will it affect the motherboard or after installing it, will it cause any problems in computer? I have not much explored the hardware parts and CPU by opening it, so please tell me how to install and how to connect the wires to the power supply and the motherboard? Thanks in advance.

Re: How can i install SATA Bluray drive in Old PC with IDE optical rays and SATA HDD.

According to your query we will surely help you on it. Follow the above steps for installation:

Installing a CD/DVD Burner Drive or Blu-ray Drive

• Step1: Installing an optical drive is very simple, and simply involves removing a part on the front of the computer case, sliding the drive in, bolting it down, and connecting it to the motherboard. The basic steps for hooking up a CD/DVD/Blu-ray drive are as follows:
    • Step2: Remove the bay cover so that you can slide in the optical drive. This will be a somewhat different process depending on which particular case that you chose for your build. However, removing the bay cover for most cases requires the same steps. Remove the drive cover by pushing from the inside of the case. The generic case cover should just pop out; leave an open slot for which you will be able to install the CD/DVD/Blu-ray burner.
    • Step3: Slide in the CD/DVD/Blu-ray burner drive. The drive should just slide right in. Never try and force the drive. If it’s difficult to push, check to make sure that there is nothing blocking the path from within the case.
    • Step4: Once the CD/DVD/Blu-ray drive is sitting correctly in the bay, go ahead and fasten it down with screws. There should be 4-5 different screw holes located on the actual side of the drive, which will line up with 4-5 according screw holes in the casing. Secure the optical drive to the case.
    • Step5: Connect the optical drive to the motherboard. Most likely, this will need to be done using a SATA cable that came with your motherboard. Simply plug one end into the back of the optical drive, and the other into an available SATA port on your motherboard. The other option , which is older but still sometimes used, is to connect the optical drive to the motherboard via IDE cable, which is a thin, ribbon like cable.

The majority of the time, you will also need to connect the CD/DVD/Blu-ray drive to the power supply.

Re: How can i install SATA Bluray drive in Old PC with IDE optical rays and SATA HDD.

If you want to install a hard drive. Follow the given steps:

Installing a hard drive is just as easy, if not easier, than installing a CD/DVD/Blu-ray drive. The basic steps for installing a hard drive are as follows:

Step1: Locate the hard drive storage bays within the case. Most often, these bays are positioned towards the front of the case, directly below the optical drive bays. However, like the rest of the build, this may vary slightly, depending on the particular case that you are using.

Step2: Once you have located the hard drive storage bays, slide in the internal hard drive, assuring that the connection end is facing towards the motherboard. When the hard drive is positioned correctly within the bay, line up the holes in the bay with the holes in the side of the hard drive. Secure the hard drive to the case using some screws that should have come with the case.

Step3: Finally, connect the hard drive to the motherboard using a SATA cable or IDE cable. Simply plug one end of the SATA or IDE cable into the back of the hard drive, and the other end into an open SATA or IDE input on the motherboard. You will also need to connect the hard drive to the power supply.

There are different types of Blu-ray drive. If you a Sony Blu-ray drive then follow these steps:

• Step1: Installing the Sony Blu-ray drive is a cinch: A Serial ATA (SATA) interface eliminates hassles regarding jumper settings or IDE cable positioning. Our PC had just one 5.25-inch drive bay, so we unscrewed the IDE DVD burner in it, detached its IDE cable and four-pin Molex power lead, and pulled it out. (If your case uses rails to mount drives, detach them, or look for spares inside the case.) We also removed the IDE cable entirely, since we had no other IDE drives. (Important: If your IDE cable has a second drive on it make sure the drive resides on the cable's end connector and that its jumper is set to Master or Cable Select.)
    • Step2: Next, slide the Blu-ray drive into your chassis, screwing or locking it in place. Recent power supplies will have spare SATA power connectors; plug one into the drive, minding the L-shaped keying. Then plug the bundled data cable into the lowest-numbered unused SATA port on your motherboard and into the drive.
    • Step3: Finally, check that the drive drawer has clearance to open. The BWU200S's disc tray has a face bigger than most, and because our PC case had a door covering the optical-drive bay, the BWU200S's drawer couldn't pass through. We had to carefully remove its face. (It snaps off vertically.)

If you don't want to go through the hassle of opening your case, LaCie offers an external Blu-ray burner, and Buffalo Technology has announced that it will be introducing one in the near future. These drives make bringing Blu-ray to your PC as easy as plugging in a USB cable.

If you have installed a Blu-ray drive then you need to install the software. To install follow these steps: Step1: Boot your PC, and watch during the POST whether the Blu-ray drive is detected on the appropriate SATA channel.

Then in Windows, test-play a music CD to check the drive's basic functionality. Sony supplies a disc of Cyber Link software in the box. Run its installer (you'll have to select the whole package) and reboot as indicated. When you're done, you'll have a host of apps useful for Blu-ray: Power DVD (for disc playback); Power2Go (for general burning tasks); Power Producer (for authoring your own high-def videos to Blu-ray discs); Power Director (for disc creation and editing); the self-explanatory Power Backup; and Instant Burn.

Step2: None of this software, however, will play commercial Blu-ray movies as-is. Instructions in the box direct you to a free Power DVD upgrade on Sony's support site that enables Blu-ray movie playback. On the site, enter your software disc's key code, download the 72MB update, run the installer, then reboot.