Thread: A new 3TB hard drive by Seagate but does not support 32-bits

A new 3TB hard drive by Seagate but does not support 32-bits

Seagate plans to launch a 3 TB hard drive, but is only well-matched with 64-bit Windows OS, the company established. The original 3.5-inch drive ES Constellation needed 64-bit operating system from PCs and servers will be able to sustain 2.1 TB drives or superior. The cover is an older standard 2.1GB related to an industry-wide decision to reduce the logical block address (LBA) used in hard drives. What do say guys?

Re: A new 3TB hard drive by Seagate but does not support 32-bits

I have my 4 year older computer is 64 bits, but it was not common when I bought it, and I ran like 32-bit until a hardly any months ago when I upgraded to Windows 7. But 3TB HD sound is very sweet. I really want it. Another year-end 25-nm Intel SSD that 3G is much cheaper and faster and 4 TB hard drive, Hitachi next year. Let’s hope what exactly Seagate is planning to do and get a better product as people expect.

They could simply make the disk drive that supports both 64-bit LBA-old 48-bit / new perhaps by changing a simple header pin. Thus the limit can be fully used 2.1T with older hardware. I see no problem, except that consumers want to buy a new motherboard. But you know that this does not mean there are no users satisfied Seagate is the level of consumption-ROM, except that there is still a large number of complaints, rather than in the past pre-1 TB, people with less confidence in the brand now.

We are even seeing a small price war difficult to drive as companies compete to eliminate stockpiles of 500 GB, 2 TB hard drives and this has helped in prices. 750 GB units are as low as $ 40, while 2 TB are as low as $ 99 so you cannot see a 3 TB hard drive be additional than $ 199 MSRP firstly and maybe less. There are plenty of smaller hard drives to game consoles. Once the hard drive manufacturers 1 TB to get the entry level 3.5 "500 GB entry-level 2.5" in the console market will be improved to the lowest point of the scale.

If this price holds good only could buy a bigger hard drive prior to Blu-ray discs are low-priced enough to back up the data volume. Moreover, as is the current crop of 2 TB drives are planned to "work better" in 64-bit o/s but there are some people who find fault about the units are green when used under Linux and / or configuration RAID. Therefore, the buyer should educate themselves about what is the appropriate unit for your needs. It's not as complex as buying ram but much closer.

I think it's rational. Sacrifice of backward compatibility of the total capability to allow more hard drives for 64-bit systems, which are the future. The technology must go! You know that 32-bit Windows cannot recognize a single volume unit over 2 TB, due to address limitations in the lower level. No way around it except creating a lapse of several units in Windows, but that is not the same. If you are running a Windows 64-bit S / S, then not be able to use this unit. Whether your CPU, etc is 64 bits.

What about Seagate? I thought the depressing comments about WD are bad comments were so negative that Tiger Direct is selling 1TB hard drives for $ 49 after rebate. I think the debacle Seagate 1 TB and 1.5 TB still remains. Well, that should tell you Seagate should make better manufacturing and quality control. I have all 3Blue WD-1 2black TB and still running strong. I only buy WD and Seagate. I can honestly say I've never had a drive die on me. As for the qualifications of Newegg in units of 1.5 TB, WD and Seagate I have both to do work. A real shame. We put a lot of pressure on them to get more units out the door there is no time for adequate testing.