Thread: Can i run 'chkdsk' in Western Digital 2TB ext usb drive without lose of data

Can i run 'chkdsk' in Western Digital 2TB ext usb drive without lose of data

Hello friends I am using DELL laptop in which I have installed windows XP and I have 160GB hard disk in my laptop. I am also using Western Digital 2TB ext USB drive with my laptop and it was working fine with my laptop. Some days before my Western Digital 2TB ext USB drive started giving me some problem and after that I have decided to run chkdsk command to check my in Western Digital 2TB ext USB drive with losing any files. Please help me with it.

Re: Can i run 'chkdsk' in Western Digital 2TB ext usb drive without lose of data

I have gone through your post and if you want to run the 'chkdsk' command on your Western Digital 2TB ext USB drive then it Is depend upon the conditions of files in your hard drive. if in your hard drive any files or courrpted or is there any bad sector in your hard drive then you may lose the file in your Western Digital 2TB ext USB drive. it is safe that you take backup of all your important data and after that run the 'chkdsk' command in your hard disk.

Re: Can i run 'chkdsk' in Western Digital 2TB ext usb drive without lose of data

I have tried to take the back up of my all files in my laptop and after that when I try to un-mount the drive at that time I am getting this Error detaching drive - An error occurred while performing an operation on "2.0 TB Hard Disk" (WD Ext HDD 1021): The device is busy - Details: One or more partitions are busy on /dev/sdb. I have checked in my task manager and I have closed all the possible task but after doing that also I am not able to get the safe to remove option. Till now I have not run the chkdsk command in my hard drive. Now I don’t know what I have supposed to do with it.

I have searched on the internet to fix this problem and after that I have got one solution for you. You can solve this problem by running WD Lifeguard Diagnostics on your hard drive. you can find the WD Lifeguard Diagnostics easily on the internet and after that you can run it on your hard drive. I think after doing that you will not get any problem with your Western Digital 2TB ext USB drive. if you still find any difficulty after that then let me know.

I was getting the same problem with my hard drive also and after that I have run 'chkdsk' command on my hard drive. While checking the disk it took very long time and it has detected so many corrupted files from my hard drive and it has fixed almost all the errors on my hard drive. Now after doing that I am not getting any problem with my hard drive and I haven’t lose in file after doing this. I hope this information will be helpful to you.

After doing all the above method if you are getting the same problem then I think there may be something wrong with your Western Digital 2TB ext USB drive. I will suggest you to give your hard drive to the service center and after that ask there about your issue and after that you will get the proper answer regarding your problem. Before you do this you must copy all the data in some other drive as backup. I hope your problem will get solved as soon as possible.

As you have mentioned in above post that WD Lifeguard Diagnostics can be helpful and after reading that I have downloaded it in my system and installed it but after doing that also I didn’t get any help and my problem remains as it is. Now after that I have decided to give my in Western Digital 2TB ext USB drive in service center. I have done the backup of all the data in other computer. Hopefully I wail get some solution in service center. Thank you for helping me.