Thread: dvd drive not working and will not read disc

sad dvd drive not working and will not read disc

I have a power supply of 230 V, in which I run:
    Intel core2duo E7400 2.8 Ghz
    Trancend 2gb ram (upgrading to 4 gb shortly)
    Nvidia Geforce 9400 GT 1gb
    Seagate 320 Gb hdd
    Another Seagate 1 Tb hdd
    L.G DVD Writer

Now problem with me is that my Dvd drive don't function properly, it works properly on another pc (I tested it on my friend's pc). Then I borrowed my friend's dvd drive & connected it to my pc, it worked fine for a while but then it stopped working. It don't read any disc nor does it writes.

So can it be a power supply problem ??
    Please give suggestions....

re: dvd drive not working and will not read disc

I think you need to update your driver and so that you can solve your issue. to do this make right click on the my computer and after that select the properties. Now on the properties go to the hardware tab. Now on the hardware tab make click on the device manger button. Now on the device manger windows locate to the DVD driver and after that make right click on that and then select the update. Now once you finish the updating and after that restart your system and then go through your issue.

re: dvd drive not working and will not read disc

Quote Originally Posted by Farrah View Post
    I think you need to update your driver and so that you can solve your issue. to do this make right click on the my computer and after that select the properties. Now on the properties go to the hardware tab. Now on the hardware tab make click on the device manger button. Now on the device manger windows locate to the DVD driver and after that make right click on that and then select the update. Now once you finish the updating and after that restart your system and then go through your issue.
    I tried but it didn't work !!

Re: dvd drive not working and will not read disc

Well, it seems to me that the cable connected to th dvd drive is faulty, so can you try to change the cables used on the dvd drive? Also can you tell us what is the make or model of your dvd drive that is not working? You can also try to automatically diagnose and repair problems with your CD or DVD drive when trying to read or burn media by clicking on the fix it link here.

Quote Originally Posted by james_911 View Post
    Well, it seems to me that the cable connected to th dvd drive is faulty, so can you try to change the cables used on the dvd drive? Also can you tell us what is the make or model of your dvd drive that is not working? You can also try to automatically diagnose and repair problems with your CD or DVD drive when trying to read or burn media by clicking on the fix it link here.
    No friend before posting here I thought about it and brought a new cable.
    Even when I use to the utility given by you to fix it, it says detecting disc type and then loads for ages, after that everything freezes, nothing opens, no task manger, no action on Ctr+alt+del, not even the mouse works, it just gets freeze.

You have a power supply with only 230 V? Whats the watts by the way? I think that it is not able to give much power and dying and because of that it is not giving enough powers to other hardware peripherals. Can you try to hook a 400 or 500 watt power supply and check whether the dvd drive is working in the same conditions or not.