Thread: Need advice in choosing a SATA RAID Controller PCI card for Dimension 4100?

Need advice in choosing a SATA RAID Controller PCI card for Dimension 4100?

I am using Dell dimension 4100 desktop computer which is having 40 GB hard disk. Currently I am using Promise 100 PCI card for my IDE hard disk drive. I am planning to have couple of SATA hard disk somewhat having capacity of 320 GB mirrored. I heard that Addonics controller and some other brand controller aren’t supported on my computer. So for that which controller I should use so that I could work with it and same would get work in BIOS as well.

Re: Need advice in choosing a SATA RAID Controller PCI card for Dimension 4100?

I would suggest you some. if you would place the controller card into a 32bit 33MHz PCI slot, then according to me just have a 3ware or Highpoint SATA controller card. These controllers are made for a 64bit 66/100MHz PCI-X slot but you can have them as they are compatible with a 32bit slot. Some of the controllers which are for PCI slot lack some of the features and also these do not have the XOR processor or onboard RAM and because of this the load of any RAID array increases onto the CPU and memory. So above mentioned would be better for RAID.

The RAID controller you need depends on the configuration you would be using. Some of the RAID controllers do not work with a particular system configuration and thus you end up in returning the same and get a new one. I would like to provide you the compatible ones but for that you need to provide some of the useful information so from which I could suggest you the same. First thing provide the OS you would use, then what RAID array you are going to setup, then your network card and also the motherboard, processor and RAM.

According to the information you need, I have noted all the things. First of all I didn’t decide the OS then after I end up in using the open source operating system most probably windows as it would be helpful anyways for my system. Then I am going to create the RAID 5 for my SATA hard disk. I am using the Dell dimension 4100 motherboard so you could find out the basic configuration from there and get all the information as needed. Please do suggest me for my query

In your case your system is not detecting some of the cards because there might be some of the operating version issues. If suppose you are using windows, then try to upgrade its service packs so that you could get confirmation on the same. This would help you and then you might use the controller which you are having. As well as I agree on the above solution that you should go for high point SATA controller as I have found it to be useful in many cases.

If you have used any of the controllers then you need the drivers for that. So I guess you would have installed the needed drivers of it. For confirming the same you can navigate to device manager and then see that a particular driver is there and possibly you don’t get the yellow mark around that list of drivers. So in all make sure that you do all that things. Also perform the BIOS update as it would also enable the BIOS to detect new hardware on your computer system