Thread: How would an SSD benefit me?

How would an SSD benefit me?

Few days back while browsing on the internet I came across ‘SSD’. I did some research on this topic; I have seen that the SSD prices have come down a bit. But still I have this question that are SSD’s really good at multitasking or is it really benefit over normal 7,200 rpm hard disk drives if you run a program? As I being a patience person, the boot-up times doesn’t really bother me or a program starting 20-30 second faster. The only thing that really bothers me is whether the games will run faster or not?

Re: How would an SSD benefit me?

That is really a good question asked by you over here. It’s good that you have already found out that software applications will load faster. If a game is installed in the solid state drive it will load faster. There may or may not be a performance boost. The Solid State Drive will not improve the FPS. Professional or business scenarios are really affected in a good way with the SSD’s for example if you have to compile a large program the total compile time will be cut in half, say a job which use to take 4 hours is now taking only 2 hours. Unfortunately these professional scenarios do not affect the gamers.

I had my computer attached to my 42” LED TV at my home where we watch movies. It is a high performance computer. But recently I upgraded my office computer so that I can play more violent games with out affecting my kids, so I bought my SSD drive from my home to my office and replaced it with a 7200 rpm, 32mb cache HDD. The things that I noticed after that are given below:

• I noticed that the boot time on my HDD versus my SSD is really a huge difference. My Hdd takes couple of minutes to boot up and then couple more minutes to load all the start up programs whereas my SSD would take only 30 seconds to load windows and once the desktop comes up it is usable.
    • If it is a game that uses that uses HDD a lot it loads much faster on the SSD. The SSD creates a less heat which increases the performance in the long run.
    • When I use my adobe premier pro to render my project file and export it into .avi file it takes only 30 seconds on my SSD where my HDD would take a lot more time compared to this.
    • So if you are a patience person and money is a big factor for you then SSD is the least necessary thing for you. But if it is not then I assure you that you’ll really enjoy the benefits.

According to my research SSD no matter which one is much faster than any HDD solution. actually the problem with Hard Disk Drive’s is that due to the needle scratching over a disc it is noisy and it gets heated up due to the continuous mechanical movement. You can only go do fast with a mechanical process like that whereas SSD uses instant technology like RAM. A RAID solution can also work for you but that will just create heat in your box. And also it will require 2 sata ports which will be problem if you require sata ports for other things which was a problem for me a few years back because I had two storage drives and 2 optical drives. But if you look it from the cost perspective in price of one SSD you will get two HDD’s and also SSD are small so I will suggest you to get one HDD also like I keep all my music, pictures and movies on the HDD and I keep my OS and games on the SSD to run it faster.

The maintenance of a SSD is different the HDD. To clean a SSD you will have to learn how to use tools like ‘Parted magic’ instead of using windows simple format option. I know some people who have killed their SSD by using the windows format option. A clean wipe once a year is enough to keep the SSD in its peak performance. And if you are using windows 7, you’ll probably need to learn how to keep the TRIM option enabled and how to configure the motherboard for your SSD. So if you are not ready to go through all those things then SSD is not your option.

Some features of SSD that I consider are that it takes less compilation time, an SSD boasts 2x faster file-compilation, SSD consumes less power than conventional HDD and can add an average of 30 minutes to the battery life, SSD handles the multiple programs smoothly so now you can crop the photo and load the game maps at the same time and nearly 3x faster than the HDD, you can render the video files 30 percent faster and SSD handles the shock, vibration and temperature so you can carry it anywhere.