Thread: Realtek ALC880 not working in alsa

Realtek ALC880 not working in alsa

I had been using Gentoo version 2.6.32 with the same version of the kernel, I had a base layout as 1 and this worked perfectly in harmony in laptop with a sound card named Amilo M3438g 75001 was acknowledged and functioning flawlessly. But, since I always try out new things, I mean I always shift myself to the latest version available. I am now facing a problem a problem with the latest version of Gentoo which has a kernel named 2.6.37 Gentoo R4 and has a base layout of 2.

Re: Realtek ALC880 not working in alsa

There might be a problem with the installation or the upgrading your previous version to a new one. Because often some files are left out without giving an error. Now these left out files might be important for the installation and use of the sound card that reply on such files for proper operation. I suggest you to format and re-installed your system with the current operating system of Gentoo. You can try the other way out, but the sure shot way to know about the problem with the sound driver is start with a fresh copy.

You may use something that is called as alsa in the Linux world of programming. Alsa is an abbreviation for Advanced Linux Sound Architecture, which is in turn a kernel component proposed to replace the original open sound system ( OSS ) which was used for providing device drivers for the sound cards . So download and install ALSA that is compatible and with the kernel you want to use . Then check if the sound system is working.

Dude post the output that your Ispci gives, also post the output given by kernel config file , along with alsa config file ( if you have already installed it ) If not , then install it and try if your sound card is working or not. Also reboot your system after the installation of the alsa program, because it takes in effect only when the system starts or reboots again. After reaching and trying so far, I guess there you should be knowing how to install an alsa.

Hello my Ispci code is as follows shows
    0 audio device: intel corporation 856234a/gfh/ert/erb (ICH6 Family) High
    Kernel config shows
    Config_sound=m , Config_sound_osscore=m, Config_sound=m, Config_snd=m, Config_snd_timer=m, Config_snd_mixer_oss=m
    The alsa file shows the following code
    vishal /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
    vishal /dev/asp snd-pcm-oss
    vishal /dev/imidi snd-seq-oss
    which was present in the /etc/modprobe/alsa.conf
    I tried installing ALsa but then to it did not worked please help.

Check and see if you can hear sound when you have plugged in with your working head phones .I think the sound should come. I bet you can hear that , I might be the problem of the sound card , it may not be in a working condition. Which may cause the kernel to not locate it .Is there any interrupt between the kernel , I mean when you try to play the file ? Or it might just be that your speakers are muted and you just can’t hear them for that reason.

I bet it would be the problem would be with the IRQ on a bad kernel. This happens because they may be too few IRQ available in your system.Try adding dome more IRQ in your system. This can be easily done by restarting your PC and adding the IRQ to the device you want to run. It’s really not bad idea to add more IRQ as it may free them from other devices and software‘s. If that does not work out tell me what does your amixer shows. This is used to show the number of devices connected to your system physically.