Thread: Could Seagate Hard Drive Be Dying

Could Seagate Hard Drive Be Dying

My whole family has an ASUS UL50a laptop with a Seagate ST9500325AS 500GB SATA HD (5400RPM). I just ran CrystalDiskInfo on it and it says Health status: caution. All values are standard, apart from the reallocated parts count that says present: 100, Worst: 100, Threshold: 35. SpeedFan doesn't perceive the HD in this laptop. Could this drive be approaching death it’s just a year old. I have heard that Seagate has a few quality control troubles though.

Re: Could Seagate Hard Drive Be Dying

Is it making any sounds? SMART isn't all it's cracked up to be. I have obtained a 9-year old 160GB Maxtor which has been in the 30% range for strength since the day I just purchase it, and it's been completely dependable. If the hard drive itself isn't giving you any signs of looming stoppage, I wouldn't be anxious regarding it. All of my Seagate’s which have died made sounds (clicks or beep-type noises) earlier than they bit the dust.

The just hard drive tests I trust are the manufacturers. Too many of the aftermarket application to monitor drive health don't have all the essentials for all drive types and blunder standard operation for imminent stoppage. And if it isn't making any sound or showing a different other type of irregularities, then you should be fine. No point in seeming for trouble where there isn't any. The Seagate in here has been going for a year in addition with no troubles.

If you are truly worried regarding the drive, I would recommend getting your hands on the solitary best hard drive recovery tool I have ever seen - GRC's Spinrite. It is not cheap, but for what it does and can accomplish, I call it crucial. If your hard drive truly is developing bad sectors, this will discover them, and if probable, actually recover them. By recover, I mean discover a dissimilar way to read/write to that sector dependably, not just transfer it.

Awesome tool, but on a big drive be equipped to let it run for some days. We had a discuss regarding this a few months previously about whether the price could be necessary with drives as cheap as they are now, but truly, if you have obtained a pair of VRaptors or it makes an out-of-the-way drive which wasn't correctly backed up accessible again (that is something Spinrite can do) and you get back a few exceptional pictures of your kids, it's well worth it. I have had Spinrite for some years and I have more than gotten my wealth's worth.

I am reminded of my old Commodore 64 and 128 Drives. The means the Copy defense was on the disks, the Read / Write head would bind from sector to sector and you could hear that thing hitting around in there. You would have to realign that thing each as frequently as it got all out of whack. There was usefulness for that, to check the alignment, but you had to physically realign the thing. They in fact had a cardboard insert to place in the drive to keep the head from moving around earlier than packing the drive for moving.

The delights of the click of death, in a server rack with 12 active servers, it's extremely tough to hear which drive is dead, and that means lugging a 40-pound server onto the workbench and dragging/replacing the bad drive. It wedges that the Seagate died untimely, I wish your WD will last longer. I have that WD320 in my HP dv5z, it works immense! One can hear the spindle pretty well, but WD has silenced the majority of the drive chatter. Me being able to hear the precise dynamics of a drive may because of my bat-like hearing, I can't quite hear, but its close.