Thread: Cannot install a peer to peer network printer in windows 7

Cannot install a peer to peer network printer in windows 7

I newly acquired new Dell windows 7 pro x64 PC for installation in my home peer to peer windows XP network. the printer linked straight to my older windows XP desktop is an HP LaserJet 2200 DSE; I downloaded the appropriate drivers from the HP site and installed them first on the novel computer and later than many unsuccessful attempts at installing the printer as a network printer on my new windows 7 pro computer, installed those similar drivers on my older windows XP computer. I just cannot setup that printer as a network printer on the new computer. I obtain a "cannot find drivers" error message. Of note, I can setup an HP DeskJet printer which is a local printer on the similar older windows XP PC, as a network printer on the new windows 7 machine, and I can setup the LaserJet 2200 printer on the new PC as a local printer, linked straight to the new machine through USB. Please someone help me for this.

Re: Cannot install a peer to peer network printer in windows 7

If you are installing the printer as a USB printer, setup the drivers on the Windows 7 PC. After that plug the printer into the PC and make certain the printer runs correctly. Print a test page and be it handy. Make certain to utilize the 64 bit drivers if you are running a 64 bit OS. After that setup the drivers on the XP PC and plug the printer into the XP machine and make certain the printer works correctly. After that share the printer on the XP PC and grant it a name which is distinctive, LJ2200 would exertion properly.

Does it matter where on the windows 7 PC I setup the x64 drivers, that is, what folder/directory? As well, the test page for the printer while I had it linked straight to the windows 7 machine through USB port doesn't illustrate the path to the driver. Illustrates the conductor as "Unidrv.dll." The driver name is not similar to any of the drivers downloaded from the HP Web site for Windows 7 x64 drivers for this printer . I am puzzled.

The printer test page should contain three lines of information at the top. It begins with Congratulations! Etc. After that there is a part showing printer data name, model, and so on and just under halfway in this part it will say unidrv.dll for the driver name. On the other hand, under this section should be an extensive list headed by: Additional files utilized by this driver: followed by an extensive list of files and the path. The paths all begin with C:\Windows\System32\spool\DRIVERS\X64\3\

I am hindered a bit because all of my presently active printers are linked to the network, not an individual computer. I have though, connected quite a lot of printers to a PC, even one running XP and had the printer turn up in the network box in both Vista and Windows 7 while installing as a network printer, Windows 7 after that goes out to discover the driver. I just do not comprehend why, if the printer has one time been installed, but not removed and after that connected to a different PC and shared, and throughout the install as a network printer it discovers the printer, it will not find the drivers.

I will dig deeper into the path to observe if I can discover those "other locations" you state. As for what I did, I did setup the printer straight to the windows 7 machines through USB and it establish what it wanted, however, I removed the printer later than disconnecting it to reconnect it to the windows XP machine. I will attempt it once more (straight connection and installation) and this time not remove it after removing the printer actually from the windows 7 machine. I can see the windows XP machine from my windows 7 PC and actually have done data file transfer in both orders.