Thread: How to determine speed at which my SSD is running

How to determine speed at which my SSD is running

I am using gigabyte 770T-USB3 motherboard also I am using solid state drive shortly known as SSD. I have switched to SSD because it offers high speed than this traditional hard drives. The SSD I am using is OCZ Vertex SATA II SSD. I think that my SSD is not giving me that much speed as I thought or else it is expected to. So please let me know how to check the speed of SSD as I want to verify the same so that I can believe that SSD are really faster than the normal one.

Re: How to determine speed at which my SSD is running

In order to check for certain things you need to download either of these AS SSD Benchmark or CrystalDiskMark 3.0. I would look at either running AS SSD Benchmark or CrystalDiskMark 3.0 to see how it performs. I would do CDM myself but it is helpful to see AS SSD Benchmark's screenshot to see what controller it is on and if properly aligned. After doing the test let me know the details so that I can figure it out and explain you the same.

I would like to say thanks for the quick reply of yours and as you suggested I have downloaded and installed AS SSD Benchmark utility. After performing the test I understood something. I tried to understand the same which would tell you. The top numbers indicates the read/write speeds. I found that my OCZ Vertex 2 speed is given here as 285 read/write. I guess it is quite low if I am not wrong. Is it depend upon the cable I mean should it be SATA.

Your speed of the SSD might get affected if you are running the SSD in IDE mode. For verifying that you need to go to your BIOS and then look for the SATA controller, there you will find that in which mode you are running. So if it is IDE then you need to change it to ACHI mode as I know it is the most recommend mode of SSD. So change the settings appropriately and then save the settings of BIOS. As you are done with it run the utility again and test the speed again.

I tried the changing mode settings as told by you. My SATA controller was on Native IDE and as mentioned above I need to change it to ACHI mode in order to gain the SSD speed, so when I saved my settings in BIOS and booted again then I wasn’t able to do so as windows was getting crashed again and again so I switched back to the old settings. So what shall I do to change the mode and get rid of crashing problem, will IDE mode affect my speed of SSD drive.

Absolutely if you set the SATA controller to the IDE mode then definitely your speed would get affected. In order to change the mode safely you need to follow an article and then perform the step by step process and you would be able to change the mode. Then perform the test again and check back the speed of your SSD using the utility told to you before and there is no problem with the SATA cable and these are not the reason for slow speed of SSD.

You need to follow the below steps. First of all I would suggest downloading the most recent Intel RST drivers from Intel for your native Intel SATA II port. I still think your issue is the effect of throttling. It could take a couple of days to recover from throttling and could be weeks, if you have put the drive in a HAMMER state because of many benchmarks and thus this also will cause your drive to slow down until the OP area of drive is cleaned by TRIM.