Thread: Have questions regarding NAS device

Have questions regarding NAS device

I have configured network on my office and several users uses the network and transfer the data accordingly. I have observed that due to in between access of the network lots of power is been consumed. One of friend advised me about NAS devices and gathers all the data onto a single device. So I have questions regarding same that does NAs device sleep until accessed by any node over the network. Can this device be used remotely from other network or web like we do using FTP service? So please provide me with this information on it.

Re: Have questions regarding NAS device

Most NAS device let you see the data in whatever way is most convenient for you suppose FTP, Web access, NFS, or Windows network drive. The last of these is probably what you want. Access speed is obviously very dependent on your network speed. So you can use the NAS device and access it remotely over web or other network and have a centralized environment that is gather all the data of yours on this device and enjoy the performance and services provided using it.

You could build the NAS for your network as I have also built the same using FreeNAS. You would have to pay a lot in order to build it. So I advise you to have free setup using that service and then have storage on NAS device. If you could have the same then it is well and good as they would guarantee you the safer mechanism. This device gives you the efficiency and you could use the performance of it and could be used remotely also.

If you are a bit techie and you are of hardware and software then definitely you can go with FreeNAS as it is a good choice if you want to build your own NAS server, but you have to know how to build and how to install FreeNAS on a flash card, and so on. FreeNAS is rsync can do automatic backup, or you can make use of custom software, if you would like a pleasant graphical user interface. If you are not satisfied or don’t want to use by means of it, you can buy the system is ready (QNAP, Thecus, etc), and using Microsoft Backup or similar free commercial software backup. It's easy, but usually more expensive.

The point of NAS is to provide centralized file share, failure to protect the unit without high performance drop. I've never found wireless to be very good for unattended backups. It always seems to go "inactive" and requires a mouse move or key for the wireless life. Maybe it's just my setup. NAS Any age will do for what you want. So at last just have a look with other users and take advice from others also in order to setup the NAS device.

In order to save the power consumed by these devices which are providing continuous data transfer you can use Green drives because these drives typically spin down after a period of inactivity in order to preserve power. It is the function of the firmware in the drive itself and is completely independent of whatever equipment the drive is installed in. So you may not choice for the NAS device as it has to be active in order to watch for requests over the network.