Thread: SATA 6Gb/s is useless with Marvell controller?

SATA 6Gb/s is useless with Marvell controller?

Recently I have purchased ASUS Sabertooth x58. Now I have found number of people who are not able to get the 400MB/s by using the Marvell Controller. Is that true with the each and every kind of the motherboard which is available in the market? Do you having any specific solution to fix the issue. Let me know if you are having any specific solution to get the requirement of mine. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: SATA 6Gb/s is useless with Marvell controller?

Well the thing which is mentioned over here is really true that is Marvell is having an issue to get over the 400MB/s and the outside of the Marvell 9182. It is also true with the 912x series motherboards. However it is working with Intel RST for the SATA 6.0 or with the Marvell 9182. The only solution which are available that is you need to purchase a new motherboard or you need to look for the PCIe based SSD like the thing OCZ RevoDrive X2. So try the same and let me know about the result.

The thing which you have mentioned over here is normal for the sequential read or writes. It seems to be quite better than that of the SATA III SSDs on the SATA III controls. There is no big difference with 4K random and IOPS. Most of the SSD is used by the operating system and program. If you try to check the file you will see that the 50% of the files are of the 16K that is cluster of the 4K which are stuck on the hard disk of yours.

The high number of seq is useful would be great with the DVD and Blu-Ray video files. These files would range of the from the 1GB to 40GB of the file size. The SATA III drives are working better on the SATA III. It is better than placing the same on the SATA II. However the performance is dependent on the usage. Only one thing which you should consider that the you should have a read or write on the same page on the device of yours.

If you are supposed to buy the OCZ vertex 3 and it is using the ASUS sabertooth x58. Because of this particular thing Marvell 912x and the Vertex 3 would be unable to get the full speed. But still I am doubting whether Vertex 3 will perform better on the SATA III port than that of the SATA port II. I can understand the random read/ write and IOPS are metrics common folk and reference is not sequential read/ write. I think you will not found the significant difference between the SATA II and SATA III SSD.

I am having Asus P6X58D premium motherboard with SATA III controller. It is a Marvell Controller. I have got the Corsair performance 3 SSD SATA III and connected with the SATA III controller with the motherboard by using the SATA III cable. But still I am getting the speed of the SATA II sew read/ write speed. You should not spend your money to purchase the SATA III SSD until and unless you are upgrading the computer of yours by using Sandybridge.