Thread: How to print blocked websites through Linksys E3000-2nd Router

How to print blocked websites through Linksys E3000-2nd Router

Due to some children who have Macbooks iPod Touch and I like to have to connect to the E3000 because it has immense web site blocking. I hope the Apple base station were blocking web site but I see it is not. Furthermore, blocking of this website has worked fine since I installed the router, but here's the problem. Often has to print the items and are unable to print because the printer is not.
    The printer is been connected with the Ethernet cable to the Apple base location. They seem to have few ways to connect the router to my base location E3000. The means you at present have connected is the E3000 is connected to the router from Apple through the Internet port on the back. By doing this fills me with Internet and Web site blocking, but I can not print through it. However, if I connect the router to Apple through one of his numbers (1-4), the ports, I still have internet, I can print, but nonetheless, blocking web site does not work. From the Apple base location has no website jamming as far as I know the only way I can imagine of to get around this is to return my Apple base station to another E3000, but I do not do this unless I have to.
    Is there any means to connect either the E3000 with the Apple router, or arrange the router so you can have the whole thing I need, Internet access, Web site jamming, but also be able to print through it? Due to the position of the printer I can not connect the printer to the E3000.

Re: How to print blocked websites through Linksys E3000-2nd Router

When linking the E3000 through one of its ports numbered, then the router does not really acts as a router, but will work as a network switch. These days, many wireless broadband routers all with various ports have technically at least three devices in one. NAT router, a network switch and a wireless access point. To get the benefit of the router function, it is necessary to connect the line to port WAN. Unfortunately, this tends to make access to a printer connected to Airport Extreme problem.

It is likely that you may be able to connect to the printer by adding up a printer's IP using the IP address of Airport Extreme if you use unusual IP ranges for the two routers. I do not know if this will work or not. At this point, the MacBook is probably only through Bonjour to try to connect to the printer which is the default way of how Apple Airport tend to deal with printers and USB devices connected. I hope this will help you.

Since this is likely going to be a nuisance, even if that works, your other option is to get some kind of print server device that let you put a printer directly into the subnet of 3000. This could be something like an Airport Express that is connected to the E3000 or a NAS device type having a print server or a real printing device server and there are some that are made only to connect a printer to a network. A variant of this would be an inexpensive network printer that is connected to the E3000.

The other option to try would be to change the order of the routers and turn on the "Share printers WAN" option in the Airport Express. I think this would allow networked computers E3000 to see the printer in the sub's Airport Extreme network. The problem with this approach is that all adults would also be "behind" web page blocking. So, unless the E3000 has a way to block only certain things in the network IP address, those things will be blocked as well. It is possible to put the IP address of Airport Extreme in the DMZ E3000 is impossible to deny this potential problem.

As per my knowledge, Apple’s router do not have sort of website blocking or parental blocking but however depending on the version of the mac operating system or the macbook running, then you might have parental controls which might be build into the operating system. I also believe that both leopard and snow leopard does but I don’t know if tiger does for sure or not but pretty sure about leopard. They basically have this thing in-built.