Thread: Unable to mount Firewire Lacie d2 Drive on Powerbook

Unable to mount Firewire Lacie d2 Drive on Powerbook

I purchased a Powerbook last month. I use PowerBook for internet surfing, gaming, downloading movies and especially for chatting. But yesterday I came across a strange issue while upgrading my PowerBook OS. While I up-grading the OS to MAC Os XTiger 10.4 at that time my Lacie d2 drive was connected to my Powerbook. After up-grading the OS I was unable to mount Lacie drive to my PowerBook. The Lacie drive was appearing correctly in Disk Utility but not on the desktop or in the finder menu. All my back-ups were present in the external drive for”safety” but now I am unable to mount that. I tried a lot but failed to do that. Is anyone aware about such issues? If yes then please help me out to overcome the issue.

Re: Unable to mount Firewire Lacie d2 Drive on Powerbook

The issue that you are facing is quite complicated. I don’t have much knowledge about hardware. No one has discussed such issues with me before that can be the reason I am not having much knowledge related to this. According to me such issues can only be solved by professionals having complete hardware knowledge. So the recommendation that you need won’t be provided by me. Maybe someone else can help you out to overcome the issues you are facing.

The issue that you have posted is very confusing. There can be several reasons due to which you are facing such issues. You connected the external hard- drive while you were upgrading this can be reasons for generating errors in you OS. I think to overcome the issue you need to update your firmware. Firmware up-gradation usually clears all the errors in the OS. I would advise you to perform the firmware up-gradation. After the up-gradation you won’t face such issues.

After I read your post I came to know about your issue. I think to overcome the issue you need to reset you Firewire ports. For resetting you have perform the following steps:
    1. Initially shut down and disconnect your Firewire drive and see to it that nothing is connected to firewire ports. 2. After that restart and start Disk Utility to repair permissions on your internal system.
    3. Then again shut down and disconnect the AC power from the computer along with your drive and remove battery.
    4. Let computer be switched off and disconnected for 15 minutes.
    5. Later on reconnect AC power only to the computer and reinsert battery.
    6. Now restart the computer.
    7. Check that the firewire ports are visible using System Profiler.
    8. Now reconnect your firewire drive and refresh window in System Profiler to rescan the firewire bus, and verify that drive is visible.
    9. Finally repair disk and permissions on the firewire drive. After you perform these steps you will be able to mount your external hard drive on PowerBook.

The issue that you have posted is complicated. Since you are not having much knowledge about hardware this is the reason you are finding this issue difficult to overcome. The issue can be due to some internal problems in your system. To solve the issue I would recommend you to modify some settings in your system. The settings that you need to perform are as follows:
    Go to Option View->Preferences-> select the option “Show mounted Volumes”. After you perform the modification you will be able to view you external drive in your system as soon as you mount it. The actual cause for your issue can be that the option “Show mounted Volumes” might be de-selected. Try out the modification and inform me about it.

Thanks a lot for all the suggestion and responses that you have given me to overcome the issue. I performed all the steps and modification that you mentioned and it was successful. Now I am able to mount my external hard drive in the PowerBook. I am not facing any issue while doing that. Previously I discussed this issue with my colleagues but they did not know about its solution. You are only person from whom I got the exact solution. To overcome the issue was almost impossible without your help.