Thread: How do I format HFS + to an NTFS drive

How do I format HFS + to an NTFS drive

I have almost searched the internet for 2 days know but was not successful to find an solution for partitioning my hard-drive from HFS + to NTFS drive. I have two separate drive s. I though formatting my Mac OS drive to HFS + format so that it becomes compatible with X-360 which my friend had. Now I am planning to have two partition of the drive so that it is compatible with windows as well as Mac os by making two partitions one with HFS+ formatting (for Mac OS )and other with NTFS ( or FAT 32 ) formatting(for windows) .

Re: How do I format HFS + to an NTFS drive

There are many ways to format your drive, but it all depends on what OS you are using currently, if the question you asked above, I am guessing it that you are using Mac OS currently. If you are interested in using paid software then you can use Paragon’s NTFS for Mac OS product which is around 30 bucks, but works great for Mac Os 9 or above. With help of this you can instantly access all your windows folder and files from your Mac and you could also repair NTFS partitions under Mac (just in case if it get s corrupted) just the way you do with HFS/HFS+ on your Mac.

If you are looking for the some free software then you should try using Mac fuse. Mac fuse allows you to handle third – party file system and application on your Mac Os. Mac OS uses a mechanism through which you can run multiple API’s .You may also use Bootcamp software for partitioning your drive into a HFS + drive .Or else just use the Disk utility program which is available in your Mac. IT will be present in the Utilities folder in your Applications folder.

I have a better way out , your problem is simple you don ‘t need any special software for it .You just need Mac OS X and Windows for it For making two partitions you will be working in terminal so be careful. First create two partition in windows drive you don‘t need to format them. Now connect your drive to a Mac OS but before connecting the drive run the following commands on the terminal. Ls/div/rdisk? . Which will return you the list of drives connected .repeat the same command after switching your hard on, and then you would get a rdisk2s1 and rdisk2s2 in it. To change to partition name to something meaningful type newfs_msdos –v FAT_VOLUME _(type here the volume name) –F 32 /dev/rdisk2s2. Then format any one partition with HFS + or HFS with Mac and leave the other one TO be formatted by Windows using FAT32 or NTFS.