Thread: Same volume serial number for two hard disk

Same volume serial number for two hard disk

I just formatted two hard drives and make primary partitions on it. IN this process, when i simply did this formatting and partition on these two drive, nothing wrong happens on it. BUt when i check the 8 hex digits volume serial number, it same. I don't understand how this is possible. Two primary partition based separate hard drives contains same volume number. I installed windows 7 on it. I'm not talking about the hardware serial number from the manufacturer. How is this possible in this case? can you describe more things about this issue? Thanks in advance for any details over such complicated things.

Re: Same volume serial number for two hard disk

These volume serial number can be generated during the formatting and paritioning the hard drives. Hence Its not possible to the same volume serial number for different hard drives. Normally we can catch the volume serial number from the Start-> All Programs-> Accessories-> System Tools-> System Information-> Components-> Storage-> Drives. SO, use it and check volume serial number you can received from this drives menu. Its well for you to catch the volume serial number from the correct locations.

Also such volume serial number can be presents in disk parameter block. Inside the volume boot record. Hence if you need to re-check the Volume serial number, go to this volume boot record for getting your hard drive's volume serial number.

Yes, i used the same process but still this drives section provides similar volume serial number information. After checking on both the drives, i found that both the drive contains similar volume serial number. Is there any side effect or harmful things happen if the two drive contains same VSN?? I need some useful comments over this issue. Please describe few lines.

Definition says that a volume serial number is a unique number. It created at each time of the drive formatting and creation of file system. it might be also replace with new one at each time the drive is formatted. BUt there is possibility that two hard drive contains same volume serial number. This is possible with the multiple system. In short, same hard drives contains or makes the unique volume serial number for each time of file system creation or formatting. WHile its unique id for only restricted to the hard drive. If two drive connected to different system can be contains same volume serial number. Its real conditions of this volume serial number.

In windows based OS system, it uses disk signature that helps to identify the physical disk drives. Such signature can't collide. While in case of this volume serial number it can might be collide. Its not an unique id. I don't think its harmful to your system. You can continue with this same volume serial number on two different physical hard drives.

Yes, you are absolutely correct that such two or multiple HDD can be hold similar VSN number but different signature and the hardware manufacturer serial number. NOrmally it happens when the same bootable disk is for the multiple hard drives. I also not getting side effects for this same VSN on multiple drives. You can continue with your both the hard drive as per mentioned in about post.

If you want to get the unique id of your hard drive you need to execute "DiskPart" command on command prompt. It show you unique "signature" for each of your hard drive. If you check this volume serial number with this signature, you found that both are different number. They are not same in most of the cases.