Thread: Not able to set default paper size to A4 in HP Officejet 8500

Not able to set default paper size to A4 in HP Officejet 8500

I am using windows XP at my workplace. I am having several computers all connected via network. I wanted to print many documents everyday so I purchased HP Officejet 8500 pro wireless printer. It offers good print quality with g\many features as well as average printing speed. I am usually printing papers having A4 size so I wanted to default my printing to this settings, so I tried to change the paper size to A4 but it was set back to letter. So provide me with the solution on how to do this?

Re: Not able to set default paper size to A4 in HP Officejet 8500

You have to set the paper size to A4 size in the printer properties. For this just change these settings on your printer to A4 paper size. If you tried this and still not able to set the default paper size to A4 instead of letter, then turn off your printer and then wait for few minutes and turn it on again and apply these settings again and restart your printer again. This would allow printer to acquire the applied settings and I guess it would be defaulted to A4 paper size.

You are trying to apply the needed settings but the settings are again reverted to letter paper size. I think updating the printer software would help you out. For doing this uninstall the current software from Add/remove programs and ensure that you disconnect your printer. Now download the latest software for your model from the HP website and install it on your computer. You just need to follow the on screen instructions of installation procedure.

In order to set the default paper to A4 you should try out the following settings. Go to your printer settings and you will find the printing shortcut option. Select this option because here we will be making the shortcut that will make a default paper size to A4 size. So create a new shortcut and select a A4 size as you want as well check for the required settings that you want by going through each instruction. Now whenever you try to print just select this shortcut and printer would use these settings and would print the documents as you want.

I think the settings are defaulting because of regional and language settings. Just go to control panel and then regional and language settings and select an appropriate standard and format to English (UK) because printer follows these standards and apply the same. But in order to see that it works you will have to reinstall the printer driver again and then the installation procedure would select that as the default settings and then apply the A4 as a default paper size. I guess it would work and you would have the solution for your query.

If the settings are not getting configured the way you want, then you would have to contact HP support center. You may ring up them and ask our query; they would guide you through the phone and would instruct you step by step. Else you can end up saying that send an engineer for configuring some settings on the printer and within few days an expert from HP would visit your workplace and would check for the problem and solve it as soon as possible.

First of all, ensure you actually have A4 paper in the default papertray, because the tray sensor should find the size for the printer. As others have suggested, try to set the software in the Printer/Scanner settings to A4 as the Default papersize. If all else fails, reset the printer to its Factory Default Settings, then try to set-up the A4 as the default again.
    Good luck.
    John

I think I have finally figured this problem out.

It worked for me.

Download the latest installation file for me it was OJP8500vA909_Full_14.exe

Extract to a directory, or run the file and extract it to a directory you will remember. eg :\OJP8500vA909_Full_14\

run util\cfgedt\hpbcfgap.exe

Click File -> Open

Then in the main folder eg :\OJP8500vA909_Full_14\ there were in my case 3 files hpwl85a0.cf_ , hpwl85g0.cf_ , hpwl85n0.cf_

Open the files one by one and edit the default paper size to be A4 or whatever you want.

Save each one.

If you have already installed the software etc. Uninstall all of it.

Reinstall using setup.exe from the main folder eg :\OJP8500vA909_Full_14\

Hope the above makes sense.