Thread: Need help to construct a DVD server

Need help to construct a DVD server

I determined that for working of tens of thousands of such costly Kaleidoscape server simply crazy. Since to purchase a DVD server would be quite expensive so I thought of making my own server. Thus both the servers i.e. Kaleidescape and MediaMax is basically client/server setup with storage and cataloguing which are being handled by quite beefy RAID5 server with the players present in each room. The actual proposal for DVD servers is that they are capable of playing many movies in different rooms at the same time. Well this makes sense to both a manufacturer and consumer’s point of view but the cost of the entire system will be high. What do you say?

Re: Need help to construct a DVD server

I think that’s a nice idea. Well it’s not an easy task but with the help of some expert you can do it successfully. I think this server will provide not only food but better picture in all the rooms. Also when your server gets build up, I would like to see it and also its inner parts. You can upload some photos for it which would be helpful. Hope you get succeeds in making the server and what can I say more.

It’s a good idea of making a server for good and can view at multiple places. But I think rather than spending so much amount behind this you can think of XBMC which you can just connect to the windows and share it to all local drives which will be easier to setup and also everyone can access that particular drive and can watch the movie. However mediabrowser with the Metabrowser is very easy to set up. You can check it out.

My PC is both client and server for me. You may have heard about the lian-li pc-a77 which provides 15 hard drives. Well I am using it and currently 10 drives at my home. Thus my XMBC with ion 330 which is down below reads everything correctly. It gives me 18 mbps of speed. This is quite a powerful monster but still I use my PC everyday and all the time. I download many things from it and also it acts as a server even though I keep it on all the time.

Hey even I am using XBMC and its good enough and it works fine. It does many things at one instance which I don’t need to do. I also have a server which pipes the music all the time whenever I needed which regrets me to use internet radio and I can also watch movies as well as TV programs simultaneously on the sky box. Just needs to control well also do whatever I demand it to do play movies/songs which I select and keep the track of all records. It also handles cinema and provides flexibility which I need.

To build a DVD server is not an easy thing at all. It needs lots of parts and instruments to make it. I recommend you to take help of some expert if you know anyone. Well it’s a good idea of making a server but just be careful while making. It would be quite expensive so try to make no mistakes. Any misplace of single part or damage to any part can be expensive. After building it will provide you amazing performance and multiple views in different rooms. All the best.