Thread: High memory graphic card can be used for what purpose

High memory graphic card can be used for what purpose

I have a good configuration computer and Windows xp installed in it. I am able to play many games very smoothly. But some games needed graphic card without which it was not possible to play such games. Thus I needed to buy a graphic card so I planned to have pci express graphics card. I choose this because this card was very useful for gaming purpose. But I don’t know what the use of high memory graphic card is. Also I want to know some more advantages related to it.

Re: High memory graphic card can be used for what purpose

If your graphics card has a powerful GPU, but you have only 256 MB RAM, then you are able to play games with full settings on a limited resolution such as 1280 x 1024 or up to 1440 x 900 but beyond that the games could break. But if the card has 1 GB or 1.5 GB of RAM (with the same GPU) that can handle resolutions like 2500 x 1600 or more which are very high. Basically, the higher the resolution you have than the numbers of pixels more are needed. So you need graphics card to increase the pixels.

See when you have more RAM and very powerful GPU than you will have a good performance also at high resolutions. Thus Good Ram but with less powerful GPU may not provide good performance. Also you will not be able to play games at high resolution. Thus this is the place where you require graphic card. It basically improves the no. of pixels and can play games at higher resolution even if you have weak GPU.

A graphic card is not used only for gaming. Integrated graphic cards consume RAM when performing basic tasks. When you install graphic card, you will suddenly observe a good performance and GPU & RAM will take care of all the graphics which will allow mobo's ram to arrange with more tasks. Also if you try video editing or some other graphics tasks than video card will increase its performance and thus provides a dual display and you can also use your television as monitor. Graphic card also provides 3D rendering in AutoCAD. So these were some extra advantages provided by the graphic card.

Technically, graphic card is mainly used for storing Textures and required data (like Shaders)If the GPU itself is not able of manage large textures , then you can lower the settings which is same as that of using fewer memory space. It's like filling a space of 2GB with a lot of things and say a 8400GS GPU to process old and everything. But you cannot do that in playable FPS. So, obviously, reduce the settings to use "low" quality textures, shaders, etc. Thus they end up using much less memory and the rest of the memory is not used. When buying a GPU, you should look at the speed of the microprocessor is that the amount of RAM you have. The latter is useful, only if the former is faster.