Thread: Memory space of my C Drive is decreasing for unknown reasons

Memory space of my C Drive is decreasing for unknown reasons

Hey guys, I am using Lenovo laptop from sometimes now. Recently I noticed that I am losing lots of memory space of my C drive. The space is almost crossing 3 GB daily and I am very much worried about this problem. I am running Windows Vista in my laptop. Does anyone know what must be causing this irritating problem in my laptops C Drive? Please help me by replying to my thread and giving me your quality suggestions. Your suggestions will be appreciated.

Re: Memory space of my C Drive is decreasing for unknown reasons

Your problem seems to be occurring due to some virus attack. I would suggest you to perform full system scan of all your drives and especially your C drive and check if your system is under any kind of virus or malicious germs attack or not. If you are detecting any virus or germs, get rid of it as soon as possible. You can either try to heal the files or if it is any kind of system file then I would recommend you to keep it in quarantine files. Always remember to keep your antivirus updated to keep your system protected from new viruses and also make sure that you scan your system from time to time.

You said the problem started off all of a sudden from nowhere, so it might be possible that you must have installed some update or some application which might be utilizing that much space in your system. So I would suggest you to find out which application or update is causing this problem in your system. If you don’t find that application or update to be that important to your system, then you can freely delete or uninstall that application and free up memory space.

The best solution which I find can solve your problem at this moment is doing System restore. System restore can restore your entire system to stored restore point when you were not facing any of these problems in your laptop. Do the following to perform System restore in your laptop:
    • Click on Windows Orb and type System Restore in Search box.
    • Click on System Restore option from the search results.
    • Insert the Administrator password if you are prompted to do so.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions and select the restore point from the list of restore points.
    • Click on Next button and let your laptop do the rest of the work to restore your system to past instant.
    • Restart your laptop once it is prompted to do so.

You said that you have installed Windows Vista installed in your laptop. Then you should probably know that Vista consumes about 5GB of disk space while installation process. And if it pre-installed copy from the manufacturer of your laptop then if will be consisting of other utilities and software, thus consuming around 10GB of space. And this space goes on increasing because of newly installed programs and updates of Windows and these installed programs. And if you have upgraded from any previous version of Windows to Windows Vista then your C drive might also be storing WINDOWS.OLD folder which will be containing all the old files. I would therefore suggest you to get rid of these old files and delete them permanently if your think they are of no use to them now.

All the Lenovo laptops are included with a feature which is called as “Rescue and Recovery”. This feature is responsible for automatically taking backs-ups of various key files in your system and it acts very much similar to System Restore. This feature is mainly included with the idea of protecting user data from any kind of data loss. But it has been noticed that this process takes up a large amount of space from your local drive. And if this is the sole reason behind your problem then you can disable this feature of your Lenovo laptop by going to the “Think Vantage Rescue and Recovery Utility” and uncheck the “Schedule Your Backups” checkbox. You can find this option under the “Set Schedule and Preferences” tab. You can delete the backup files by going to the Advanced Preferences tab and clicking on the “Delete Backups” option and recover back some memory space.

A lot of your disk space is also occupied by the Recycle Bin. So it is better if you adjust the capacity of it. You can do so by right-clicking on the Recycle Bin and then selecting the Properties option and finally adjusting the permitted capacity as per the user’s requirement. Personal files, download etc also occupies tens of hundreds of GBs of space of your hard disk. Use a free application called TreeSize and you will be able to easily identify which file is occupying which space of your hard disk. Once you know the area occupied, you can easily get rid of it and delete the file if you really don’t need them.