Thread: How can I secure the external hard drive.

How can I secure the external hard drive.

I'm using a Packard Bell Store and save for storing music, photos and movies, and so on to keep my internal hard drive reasonably empty. I want to assure this unit so I can only access it. I thought about putting a password protection program on the disk. What I put out of use of these programs is, I do not want to enter a password each time you click the icon for my external hard drive. The other problem I found is that with certain programs once they enter the password which is open until you decide to put the password again. That is not ideal as I'm more than likely to forget to secure the unit. What I like to do is make the unit can access my user account. So that other users of the machine would not be able to see the unit does not mind having access to it

Re: How can I secure the external hard drive.

I'm going to suppose are using windows XP similar to Vista. If not already utilize the change command to convert the NTFS file system to stop simple file distribution then right-click the root of the drive on your computer, choose Properties and set security permissions to just your account complete control as the user removing the whole world. Click the Advanced button and verify applies to all child objects. Note if the unit is moved to another PC that does not have access. If you would do this process then I’m sure no one can access your data.

If your external hard drive is a backup for your home, then you should be fine. The chance of two drives failing at the same time is extremely low. However, its exterior contains the files inside do not, and you worry about losing data, then raid mirror is probably the best choice for you. To burn DVD can be very tedious. I would not recommend it to a point of view of simplicity. Also, if you want my advice as to brand and model, get a Seagate disk. Tend to be slightly more expensive but come with a 3 year warranty and are completely silent. In this hard disk you can give the password for outside people. If anyone will try to access your hard drive in another pc then they couldn’t be able. You can secure your hard drive through password.

I am using vista ultimate. But I have also two problems which are related to your problems. My first problems is a little bit of different but if you anyonethe solutions of both problems then please post in this forum. My problem is mentioned in below.
    • Not sure about using the "convert command to convert the NTFS file system to disable Simple File Sharing." I do not know what I'm doing here.
    • If I buy a new computer later on after carrying this out and want to connect my external hard drive to it. What would I need to do to get access on the new computer?

Well, according your problem it is not critical issue. You can secure your hard drive using password. But remember that if you forgot the password and by mistake you will enter the wrong password. They your hard drive is block and if you will try to another system then you will not able to access the hard drive. But don’t worries it will open after some time it will automatically open but it will open in your system. Not on other machine. So in this way you can secure your hard drive I hope you will satisfy with answer.

I am also facing same problem. I would listen to testimonies, complaints, and suggestions on security software encrypt or password protects an external hard drive we have at work that contains sensitive data. Does anyone have any suggestions? I want this album to be as safe as possible, as such, would have to make the hard disk cannot be opened on a Mac and Laptop unless the code is entered. The hard disk is formatted as FAT36. Then how can I see my data on other system. I am also trying on the Google and so many forums. But if you would get answer soon then please tell me.

If you are using XP Pro, you can apply the built-in EFS. It will let you encrypt everything clearly, that is "on the fly". You can try this basically. Generate a folder on the drive, you will right click on it, and then go to the Properties and then after you will go the Advanced and then confirm the box that says "encrypt the contents". Then you will there Windows will create a documentation for you, which will be stored in your profile. Suppose if the drive is connected to a different system or a different user is logged in, they'll get an "access denied" message when accessing the encrypted file. The caveat is that you need to make a backup of the encryption key and put it somewhere safe because if your OS drive dies, you'll seldom be able to access those files again. I think that it will help both of you.