Thread: Criteria’s while purchasing hardware security module

Criteria’s while purchasing hardware security module

I have a task in my hand and that is I need to purchase a hardware security module that I need in my office.This is the reason why I am putting the question over here.We are working on PKI system and would like a hardware protection for keys. Well this is our first time working on it and I am quite unclear on what criteria I should consider when purchasing a HSM.So please do get back to me on this as I am waiting for the solutions on this particular issue.

Re: Criteria’s while purchasing hardware security module

There are quite a few options with which you can go ahead and to name a few I would say that there is the EP Keyper FIPS Level 4 HSM and the AEP Keyper FIPS Level 4 HSM. These are the two which seems to be the best at this moment and seems that they are the best options that you can go for. Along with that there is a Private Server HSM, FIPS 140-2 Level 3 Validated which is again a very good choice you with which you can go ahead with. So these are some options in front of you with which you can go ahead.

I just had a look at the question that you have put up and would say that I am not quite sure that you can use HSM for PKI or not.This is because I feel that these machines are very expensive and hence they using it just for this Job it would be useless. This is what I feel and would tell you that you can even opt for some other alternate solutions that might help you to solve the problem that you are facing.But if you really want it then I would tell you that there are the options that have been provided in above solutions and I am sure that they will help you to get away with the issue.

I feel that this is a machine that are normally used at highly security zones such as agencies or bank or any other financial institute and hence even I some what agree with the solutions that is given in the previous solution.But at the same time I would say that if the HSM is that much necessary to you then you can surely go ahead with the Futurex Hardware Security Modules SSP Series HSM and the RMC9000 HSM as they are supposed to be the best in the market at this moment.

I would say that I have used the HSMs extensively in PKI projects and they were used in the financial institutions and government. So these are some options like this where you can just use them and then there wont be any issues. Now talking about the HSM that you need to buy I would say that the best options for you would be the IMO by far nCipher are the best in the market. I am sure that once you get this then you will be very happy with it.

I feel that you have to consider how you plan to communicate with the device first. And this is something that is very important factor. If you can communicate with it in a proper way then there wont be any problem and you would be able to solve the problem in a correct way. Also I want to know that are you using any third party software and at the same time I would like to know that are you going to code something which uses the supplied by library.

We have a FIPS-140-2 certified key management HSM this is substantially less expensive. Not sure if it will do what you need, but you can pull the data sheet from the web site.

Thanks a lot for the solutions that you have provided and would say that they have been really handy for me and have been very informative as well. So I would tell you that I will use them and then hope that Thanks a lot for the solutions that you have provided and would say that they have been really handy for me and have been very informative as well. So I would tell you that I will use them and then hope that