Thread: Processor & Video Card Upgrades for Dell XPS Studio 1640?

Processor & Video Card Upgrades for Dell XPS Studio 1640?

I am using Dell XPS studio 1640 laptop with ATI radeon mobile 3670 graphic card and now I want to upgrade it with P9800 or P9900 with ATI Mobile 4670 graphics card. I just want to know it ok if I but this. I want suggestion for that. Please reply me with some proper solution for that and it will be very helpful for me. if you have any idea than please reply me. I am waiting for your reply.

re: Processor & Video Card Upgrades for Dell XPS Studio 1640?

As you have mentioned in your post about the upgrading you CPU and if you are confused whether you can upgrade it or not then I will help you to solve this problem. According to me you can upgrade it. There is no problem with it. I will advise you to buy the P series CPU because of its fewer heats and less power requirements. So I think you can go for it. I hope this information will be helpful to you. If you want any more help then let me know.

I was also having the same model of Dell XPS and I am crazy with playing games. Earlier with my laptop I have installed P9900 with ATI Mobile 4670 graphics card and after that I have upgraded with some higher graphic card but I am not facing any issues with it. So I suggest you that you can also go for the new graphic card. You will not find any difficulties with that. But I make sure before you install it first you read the user manual. I hope this will be helpful to you.

I have read your issue and I suggest you don’t make decision directly about getting new graphic card and mother board. Before you do anything with your system just contact any technical person who knows all the things about computer especially about hardware related things. Just confirm with him. After that just purchase the things which you wanted and install it in your CPU. I hope it will be helpful for you. And you will get the things which you want.

After reading your post about my question I just went to the Dell service center and asked about my confusion and they guide me in proper way. so now I have upgraded my system I am using the graphic card without facing any problem with that. I am enjoying all the new games in my computer and I am really thankful for you and all your help. And I also suggest you before upgrading anything in your computer you first contact experienced person which may help

Re: Processor & Video Card Upgrades for Dell XPS Studio 1640?

Hey. I know this is almost a year later, so I may not get a reply, but its worth a shot.

Given the demanding nature of certain recent games (Skyrim), I have been thinking of upgrading my graphics card and processor to meet the demands. Could you please help me out by giving me some general steps to follow.

I have Core2Duo P8700 @ 2.35 GHz
    upgraded 8GB of RAM
    500 GB HDD
    ATI Radeon Mobile 3670 gpu

I was thinking of maybe upgrading to an i5 or i7 processor and possibly going for an NVideia gpu. Is this possible? How would I do it? From the research I've done it looks like I would have to replace the motherboard and possibly get a 130W charger. What is your advice. Have you all had any problems since?