Thread: My external hard drive locked out

My external hard drive locked out

Today I opened my MacBook Pro and then I noticed that I was not able to enter into external drive which was having all my working files. It is having a little lock on top of it and when I went to find Info then it informs me that each account have "Custom" permissions to acquire to drive, and won't permit me to change those permissions as of to obtain Info dialog window. After that I restarted my system to check if that would assist me but I was only able to see the Apple symbol at startup with a spinning wheel under it. I tried this many times but all the times it comes up with the same result. Please help me.

Re: My external hard drive locked out

There is possibility that every of the drives that you have are formatted with NTFS and that is the reason that your Mac is not able to mount it. What you can do is just open up the Disk Utility while you plug one of them in and make out if it identifies that. If it is able to recognize that then you can see for the information as well as check what it's formatted as. I hope that this is going to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry View Post
    There is possibility that every of the drives that you have are formatted with NTFS and that is the reason that your Mac is not able to mount it. What you can do is just open up the Disk Utility while you plug one of them in and make out if it identifies that. If it is able to recognize that then you can see for the information as well as check what it's formatted as. I hope that this is going to help you.
    I do not think that drive format matters in this case and it must not be the trouble. OS X will interpret NTFS drives but is failed to write to them devoid of third-party software. If you unlock the console then observe that if it shows you some error messages/logs while you attach the drives? See to that and reply ack with the result so that we can proceed to the solution of this.

This can be the problem with the driver that is installed in your machine and because of that you are getting this issue. So my suggestion to you is to check for the update of the drivers and if that is available then update the existing driver to the available version. There is more possibility that updated version of it will resolve the issue that you are facing because I have seen many of the similar cases where updating drivers did the trick and I hope that it will do the same for you.

The Mac laptops through the probable omission of MacBook Air do not give sufficient USB "bus power" to obtain most exterior drives up and running so that they will accumulate on desktop. This is for the reason that Apple's "standards" meant for their USB execution give less bus power than on computer side. Not certain of why Apple decide to perform things this method. If drives which you are trying to attach are USB and if you were acquiring them running as of bus power (devoid of using the external power supplies), chances are they will not "mount up" correctly on desktop. You may hear drive "spin up" otherwise at least attempt to accomplish that but it might not have sufficient power to obtain completely operational. My proposal is to utilize power supply blocks which came through the drives. That can create some difference.

I'm not sure what it is that it sets in the final. Always set permissions on this external hard drive for my iMac but my lap top (where I first started using this unit) administrator account (not others) seemed to have the master key for him. Maybe it was because I found the first terminal command or perhaps only available to unlock my Administrator account back up all the time.