Thread: Does AMD e350 to power a small server

Does AMD e350 to power a small server

Anybody out there that possess or know firsthand if an e350 powered mini-ITX system is strong sufficient to run an easy windows server 2008 system that is mainly utilized to host a website and some other small stuff like FTP, and so on. Just maybe 2 host max utilizing it at any given instant. I will as well install and utilize it for PS3 Media Server for transcending media files to my living room Plasma TV/PS3 setup. My aim is to have a very low power 24/7 server running. I will raid 1 two 500GB 2.5" disk together to be protected.

Re: Does AMD e350 to power a small server

If you wish to be protected, probably an HP ProLiant Micro Server N36L will outfit your requirements better, as it maintains ECC memory. If you settle on for E-350/Zacate be certain to obtain a matching power supply. Lots of reviews utilized 300W+ PSUs, where lots of the power competence is misplaced between wall outlet and motherboard. Personally I utilize a 75W PSU for my ASRock E350M1 and it inactive around 18W.

I plan on structure a WHS late this fall which does all the similar things and as Vail is based on Server 2008. Anyway I am planning on utilizing the E-450 Brazos ITX platform. It adjoins dynamic power gratings and automatic turbo to the E-350. The complete box should inactive at around 50 watts and drag 110ish at max. That comprises a 4 drive RAID 5 array and a 2.5" SSD utilized for the boot drive. Size, power consumption, competence, and ease of use are my primary concerns.

Alternatively, there are non-raid alternatives. There are fairly some developers that are finishing up Drive Expander replacements as Microsoft removed that characteristic from WHS Vail. By the way one of those substitutes is a corporate product, so don't think for a while that all the options are going to be peeling. Or you could just obtain your hands on the old WHS. The control has to do with is with 2TB drives and Storage Pools above 2TB. As long as your pool and drives are not bigger than that the older WHS will work just well.

I had old Narwhal installed on the Asus board. It wasn't happy with the alpha version so I went with Ubuntu 10.10. It runs the whole thing just great. Compositing was tearing or artifacting with the present drivers so I threw an old 3450 in there in a few words. I am going to clean that out and possibly stick debian or Ubuntu LTS on it. It did great for daily things, I even ran Eclipse on it for a bit and it didn't feel too sluggish. I am planning on running one with a LAMP setup that's as well going to be a NAS. I have no misgivings it will do well.