Thread: How to Connect 7.1 Gigaworks s750 to A/V receiver?

How to Connect 7.1 Gigaworks s750 to A/V receiver?

Can you tell me that how can I connect my s750 gigaworks 7.1 surround system to an A/V receiver? Would anyone know if this sound system would even work with the Onkyo sr605 to be specific? I mainly ask about the sr605 because it appears to be a good entry level A/V receiver that isn't too costly and can handle the latest high def audio formats. I currently have that A/V receiver thingy that creative put out a while ago, the ddts-100, which comes with a switch box. When I play games I have the sound go straight to the speakers so I can enjoy games in their full 7.1 beauty. I output the sound via digital coaxial SP/DIF into the ddts-100 and then out to the speakers. How would I configure my setup to work with this switch box and the new A/V receiver to be able to do things as I do them now? Thank you all for your help and I look forward to your reply.

Re: How to Connect 7.1 Gigaworks s750 to A/V receiver?

All you have to do is to fashion your own cables as of the satellite speakers but those connections should be self explanatory. You would connect the satellite speakers directly to the Onkyo, not through the amp in the GigaWorks sub. Just be careful with the volume that you have the Onkyo set to so that you don't burn out those little speakers. The sub-connection would go to the Pre-Out Subwoofer connection. As for S/PDIF, you'll want to pair the S/PDIF input that you use to the input selection category that you will be using on the Onkyo for your input and also select whether you want it to automatically detect Dolby Digital and DTS (recommended) or if you want to make the selection manually each time a S/PDIF bit stream is detected.

I know that this is a pain, but by all means, read the manual for the Onkyo. Their manuals are not very well written for an "average consumer" but it contains a lot of information that you'll want to know. And be sure you keep that manual; you'll need to refer to it frequently, even to make changes to the remote. This will be the best way to know the answer for your question. I hope that you will be able to do that easily.

It seems that you are asking about connecting your computer to the receiver? You would use the direct Multi-Channel inputs on the receiver for each channel coming out of the sound card. Again, you'll have to make your own cables for this purpose and may need to find specialized plugs to attach to the outputs on your sound card or computer. On the Onkyo, you'll need to choose an input selection for this output, and then pair that input for the Multi-channel inputs as the source. One final note, those inputs on the Onkyo, just as they are on most home theater receivers, will not let you use the DSP effects on the receiver, and since they are not a digital bitstream you won't be able to use the Dolby Digital/DTS decoder.

Your Onkyo receiver is more than capable of handling the little speakers from the GigaWorks, as a matter of fact; they have enough power to burn those speakers out if you turn up the volume too high; so exercise care. All of the Onkyo home theaters receivers are made to power some pretty massive "real" hi-fi speakers. The front channel speakers on my home theater system are a set of 3 way speakers with 12 inch woofers from the 70's (AR-3a's) and the Onkyo is more than adequate for them.

If you want to use the PC to both watch DVDs and play games, just set the DVD player software to decode the movie first and output it to the multi-channel inputs on the Onkyo.* You would forego the need for an S/PDIF cable and the DDTS decoder box.* Actually there is no need for the DDTS at all; both your DVD software and the Onkyo are capable of decoding the content.* Not sure where you're going to get an*8 channel switch box, but then I haven't really looked for one either.* Quite honestly, with stand-alone DVD players costing less than DVD player software, I'd be inclined to just get a separate DVD player.

If you use the multi-channel inputs on the Onkyo for the PC, you'll get the same output that you would have gotten on the Gigaworks.* However, since you want to play DVDs on the PC, you should set your DVD software (e.g. WinDVD or PowerDVD) to decode the Dolby Digital or DTS bitstream from the DVD as you will not be using a S/PDIF connection to the receiver for decoding.

As for the speakers, if you are hearing a lot of distortion from the speakers as you are listening to a passage of music, then the volume is probably up too high and you can damage the speakers.* Use music to determine this.* I can't do that with the output from a game, because the sounds from most of today's games sound distorted to begin with. If you want to really crank it up, buying better speakers that are able to produce higher SPLs instead of using PC speakers is the only suggestion that I can make.

you would use a single two wire connection to connect the SubWoofer Pre-Out on the receiver.* You'll have to make your own cable for this, so you will want to be careful that you have the connection going to the correct channel on the GigaWorks sub.* You would not be using the control center for the speaker system; your receiver will be your new control center. As for wire size, the larger the better within reason.* If the speakers will accommodate 14 gauge wire and you have it available, go ahead and use it.* Anything larger may require the use of interconnects; you should be able to find those at your local hi-fi store.* As for plain bare wire, 16 ga. would be preferable.

Hello to all! I stumbled upon this thread while searching for info on my current predicament.

I recently bought a Sony STR DH-510 receiver to use with my Megaworks THX550. I connected the satellites as usual and they work great! But I'm not sure how I'm going to connect the subwoofer to the receiver.

The receiver has a single RCA subwoofer pre out in the back. To where on the back of the Megaworks should I connect this and use what kind of cable?

I appreciate any help you'll provide. Fingers crossed....

Hi Juzam,

So you are saying that you want to use both the subwoofers and Megaworks THX550 with the Sony STR DH-510 receiver? If that is so then you have to connect an audio cable to the input jack on the back of each subwoofer. After that you have to patch the other ends of the audio cables into a Y-cable signal splitter. Then you have to insert the plug on the Y-cable into your amplifiers "subwoofer out" jack. After that just turn on the equipment and adjust the volume on the subwoofers.

Quote Originally Posted by appy10 View Post
    Hi Juzam,

So you are saying that you want to use both the subwoofers and Megaworks THX550 with the Sony STR DH-510 receiver? If that is so then you have to connect an audio cable to the input jack on the back of each subwoofer. After that you have to patch the other ends of the audio cables into a Y-cable signal splitter. Then you have to insert the plug on the Y-cable into your amplifiers "subwoofer out" jack. After that just turn on the equipment and adjust the volume on the subwoofers.
    Thanks for the reply. I don't have a second subwoofer. I only have the Megaworks' subwoofer:

You have to connect the Megaworks THX550's subwoofer in the yellow port that says "Center / Subwoofer". It is already shown in the picture which you have posted. Also isnt a network cable for subwoofer. The cable connecting it with the subwoofer is 2.5 m.