Thread: X-Fi results BSOD while using OpenAL with GroundWiz RTS Demo and Benchmark tool

X-Fi results BSOD while using OpenAL with GroundWiz RTS Demo and Benchmark tool

Can someone please tell me some resolution for this issue? When using the GroundWiz RTS Demo and Benchmark tool if you enable OpenAL sound it causes a GPF BSOD but only on X-Fi hardware. Non X-Fi cards are not affected by this bug. Numerous people have reproduced this crash, even on X-Fi Forte based systems. The only way I can run this benchmark is if I disable my sound, otherwise I have a blue screen Page Fault in a Non-Paged area. Please help.

Re: X-Fi results BSOD while using OpenAL with GroundWiz RTS Demo and Benchmark tool

I have tested this demo on one X-Fi Forte and one more X-Fi Titanium. There is another driver bug in OpenAL - if I start program using OpenAL - effects present, then I close it and start one more time - there is no effects. This bug is introduced in 2.17.0008 version perhaps (in 2.17.0007.10 all works correctly). So you can also install this version and see if that can solve the problem for you. Please reply with your experience after this.

Re: X-Fi results BSOD while using OpenAL with GroundWiz RTS Demo and Benchmark tool

I can confirm this. From 1st of December 2010 logger on my win7 sp1 updated with every hotfix to the date started bsod and is doing so till today. Main problem indentified is ctoss2k.sys by Creative and is leaking memory to and crashing ntosknlr.exe. One thing I added to my system on 1st of December 4GB of ddr2 sdram to have total of 6GB and crashes during games indicate ctoss2k.sys. As the other users had said bsod's start when there is more than 3gb of ram, when I take out 4 gb system is stable, as well as when I take out my Xfi ExtremeMusic. The error is known from 3 years now and Creative still haven't fixed that leaking ctoss2k.sys.

I have to PCI X-fi extreme music. I can test the PCI beta driver. Some updates for MS installed lately and my system is not just BSOD and also hard freezes with reputable noise. It is doing that when watching flash videos. This is getting worse. A month ago I had no freezes just BSOD during games. I just removed my 2GB sticks and installed 2x1GB and now system is 100% stable with only 2GB memory. It is nice some work is done to correct this BSOD/freezing issue. My 4x2GB sticks passed all night long memtest+ torture. W7x64 8GB mem / now 2GB for stability.

As I noticed that BSOD is caused not by OpenAL but just by driver. I have the same BSOD in Bulletstorm games, which don’t use OpenAL. I had same BSOD in Stalker with HD textures mod installed. The root of problem is in high video memory usage by game (BIG amount of textures in my case). It is nice, what problem was reproduced at last. Waiting for new driver for testing too.