Thread: using the hard drive as virtual memory

using the hard drive as virtual memory

Hi friends, I am having a desktop with 2GB RAM and 500Gb hard drive. I am currently using Windows 7 , 64bit operating system. With 2 Gb RAM space the PC is ok. Before this, I was having 4GB RAM but due to some personal reasons I had sold it. So now I am using 2GB RAM. If compared to my previous 4Gb RAM, it is slow. I have got a 80 Gb 2.5" SATA spare hard drive and SSD mount so that it can be connected with my PC. I am thinking of making this 80 Gb hard drive as virtual memory. By doing so can I resolve the RAM problem

Re: using the hard drive as virtual memory

Can you state which type of DDR you are currently using. A different disk for a swap drive means that your PC will not have any read or write operations. The 80 GB hard drive can attain maximum around half the speed of the main disk drive. I experienced that the game Starcraft 2 takes very less time to load when I put the swap file on different disk but you cannot use the total 80 Gb for the swap file.

You cannot use the 80 Gb hard drive as the purpose of RAM. Continue using the 80gb RAM and don’t think of replacing it with the hard drive or get the new RAM with greater memory space rather than wasting time on the hard drive. Get one DDR2 which can hold more 2GB RAM and overall you can 4gb of RAM. I think this is more easier way to upgrade the RAM, rather than getting messed up with the hard drive.

If you use the hard drive to swap, then this will definitely speed up the processing but will not solve the problem of low RAM memory. Using a hard drive as swap memory has no performance gain for the computer. Hard drive speed is very very less if compared with the speed of RAM. You can try using SSD that has definitely fast read and write speed since there are only limited number of operations

If you put the pagefile on the SSD it would be helpful for you. Normally many of the page file operations are small random reads or large sequential writes. The SSD carry out both of the operations very well. pagefile.sys reads very small sizes 67% less than or equal to 4 Kb and 88% less than 16 Kb. Pagefile.sys writes are large with 62% which is greater than or equal to 128 kb and 45% whose sie is 1MB. But still I agree that Ram is faster, so I advise you to get another 2 Gb Ram.