Thread: AKG K81DJ headphone vs. Panasonic RP-HTX7 headphone.

AKG K81DJ headphone vs. Panasonic RP-HTX7 headphone.

I have seen few pictures of AKG K81DJ headphones and Panasonic RP-HTX7 monitor headphones while surfing internet and would like to get some more information on them. Which among the both is better performer. So if someone has any information about them and the manufacture's specification or someone who had already used them, please share your knowledge with me also. It will be very helpful of you guys to do so. Suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: AKG K81DJ headphone vs. Panasonic RP-HTX7 headphone.

Manufacture specification for AKG K81DJ
    • Type: Closed Back, 3D-Axis (folding mechanism/ Closed Supra-aural)
    • Cord Type: Straight Y
    • Efficiency: 115 dB/V
    • Applications: SemiProfessional DJ
    • Enclosure material: Plastic
    • Impedance: 32 ohms
    • Cable: 99.99% oxygen-free cable, 2.5 m (8.2 ft.)
    • Frequency Range: 16 Hz to 24 kHz
    • Driver type: Dynamic
    • Max Input Level: 2,000 mW
    • Isolation: 10 dB
    • Weight Net weight (without cable): 150 g (5.3 oz.)
    • Other: Isolating Ear Cups

Manufacture specification for Panasonic RP-HTX7
    • Type: Encapsulated, Dynamic (Closed Circumaural)
    • Driver Unit: 40mm
    • Impedance: 40 ohms
    • Magnet: Neodymium
    • Enclosure Material: Plastic
    • Headband type: Single
    • Sensitivity: 99 dB/mW
    • Weight: 165g (w/ 1.2m cable) 153g (w/o cable)
    • Power Handling Capacity: 1000mW
    • Frequency Response: 7 - 22,000Hz
    • Connector: 3.5mm
    • 1.2m cord with gold-plated stereo straight mini-plug + 2 meter Extension Cord

The K81DJ has got good sound and one of the best looks. As the headphones are DJ phones, it’s lengthy cable can prove to be annoying for normal stereo use. The only negative point of this headphone is that after listening from it for an hour and so the hard plastic may start irritating your ears. The isolation offered is far better than expected. For a hip-hop fan like me or a DJ, they serve the best. The mids are smooth, soundstage is acceptable and the highs are pretty decent. It has got an adjustable headband, 3D-Axis folding mechanism.

The Panasonic RP-HTX7 stereo headphones are by no means a high end product aimed at music lovers, but the sound quality was a real surprise. The mid-range and low-mid frequencies sounded a little heavy for my ears, but the bass is very pithy and the highs are very clear. You can easily master the midrange of these stereo headphones according to your likes, with the help of your audio source equalizer. These stereo headphones over the ear weigh only 5.4 ounces and are the lightest full-size pair I have come across. They are very light-weight, thus making them look weak and easily breakable. You don’t have to apply much pressure while fitting the headphones around the head and around the ears. These Stereo headphones have a retro look which is simple and elegant. The ears are comfortable and well padded and suits well for portal applications.

Both the phones have got good looks and are made fine, with K81DJ at the top, of course (according to me). It may look strange to you guys, but I feel that K81DJ is slightly heavier than the RP-HTX7 in use. It is likely due to the combining outcome of clamping force of K81DJ’s and comfortable use of HTX7. Still both the headphones will heat up your ear after few hours of usage. One of the drawbacks of K81DJ is its 'too long' length of cable, whereas HTX7’s double cable design provides you with maximum portability. Personally, I think HTX7 has got better insulation, due to the encapsulating headphones that seal the ear completely. K81DJ clamp is a double edged sword – Neither, it is loose enough to give you a good seal around your ear, nor it is too tight that may can handle it long enough.