Thread: Front/rear mic & in line inputs not working, codec "not plugged in"?

question Front/rear mic & in line inputs not working, codec "not plugged in"?

I have been trying to convert my cassettes to mp3s w/ Audacity. Have everything hooked up correctly between the boombox and pc using a 3.5 to 3.5 cable (gold connectors) and the software downloaded and installed properly. When I plug the cassette player cable to pc cable into the front or rear mic jacks there is no recognition of any new hardware or similar, should there be for this? Should the pc give me some recognition of this being plugged in? Based on the error message w/ Audacity leads me to believe there is an issue w/ it not seeing this connection(?), which leads me to finidng that the codec used to run "is not plugged in" to run the Line In & Mic(?) in my Audio Devices settings.

My Control Panel > Audio Devices look like this:

http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...SoundIssue.jpg

How can the codec be installed & functioning properly for the speakers & headphones (Sigmatel), but not for the Recording > Microphone & Line In? When right clicking on both > Properties it says "This device is working properly". When I look at properties for each, the ability to update the driver is grayed out. How do I get these "plugged in" and working properly? I recently upgraded from Vista to the full version Win 7 Home Premium when my previous harddrive failed. Never thought to check these prior to the upgrade, could that be part of the conflict? I don't believe my issue is w/ Audacity, but more so how do I get my Mic or In Line working again? If the codec is not plugged in, how do I get it plugged in? Is that a hardware or software issue? What does Sigmatel control? Is it a generic "codec" or some piece of the sound card driver? I have no means to test the cable as it has the 3.5 plug connector on each end, nothing that I can plug it into other than connecting from the cassette recorder to the computer. Should a green check appear in the mic Audio properties when the 3.5 is plugged in? All other sound (media players) works fine, using this codec, but not the mic & in line using the same codec?

Would buying a 3.5mm plug to usb cable work for what I want to do? or will that codec come into play again? Should a buy a new (different brand 3.5 to 3.5) cable? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. -Jeff (Dell XPS 420)

Re: Front/rear mic & in line inputs not working, codec "not plugged in"?

The first thing that want to clear here is that the image link which was provided by you was not pooper. Now the thing here is that if you really needs to get things going then the codec installation will surely help you to solve the issue. And now what you have to do here is that just visit the official site and then download the official codec and then install the same on your system and then see whether it helps to you or not.