Thread: how to set Mbox 2 as Default sound Device

how to set Mbox 2 as Default sound Device

Hi everyone, I am having a Compaq PC and I have upgraded the operating system from windows XP to windows 7. I have got a Digidesign MBox 2 sound card and I am using it as an external sound card. The external sound card is used for Pro tools and other audio software. But whenever I want to play audio from the PC it doesn’t use the MBox 2 sound card., rather it plays on the internal sound card. I want to set up my external sound as a default play back device. Can any one suggest how to set it up.

Re: how to set Mbox 2 as Default sound Device

If you have got two sound cards installed I your computer then only one can be used at a time. For this you have to select one sound card as a default playback device and other one will act as an external device. Go to the control panel from the start menu and then select Hardware. Then check if the sound/ sound as a playback device is showing up. If this option does not appear then you cant set the MBox2 as default playback device.

The working of the MBox 2 depends upon the interface you are using to connect it through PC. If you are using a firewire interface then MBox 2 won’t work as there is an issue of compatibility with windows 7. If you are using a USB interface then it will work fine. Download “Pro Tools 8.0.3” version and see if you can get help any way. There might be a driver problem for your external sound card. Get the appropriate driver information from the digidesign website.

If the sound cards are not working properly, then you need to update audio drivers. Enable automatic updates on the PC and let the windows automatically search for the updates for drivers and software. Go to the Digidesign website and download “Audio drivers setup (x64)”. This will definitely solve the problem. Browse the device manager and make sure that all the MBox2 drivers are working properly

You can set the Mbox 2 as default play back device. For this you need to install ASIO4ALL drivers. After you complete the installation you need to go to the ASIO4ALL program offline settings from start menu. Now you can see the internal sound card as well as the Digidesign Mbox 2 Audio. Click the “ON” button and in the drop down box check that Mbox2 out 1/2 Out is in ON status. Then go to control panel > Hardware>sound. Select “sound” and see that in the play back tab Line 1/2
    Digidesign Mbox 2 Audio and then set it to default device.

The computer always detects the internal sound card first and so it is set as the default playback device. When the MBox2 is connected to the to the system all the sound is controlled through this card and when it is not connected, all the sounds are managed by the internal sound card. It is not needed to disable any settings if you have got appropriate sound card installed.