Thread: Vertex3 SSd vs Intel 510 SSD vs Crucial M4 SSD

Vertex3 SSd vs Intel 510 SSD vs Crucial M4 SSD

Hi I am planning to purchase Solid State Drive (SSD) but I am very confused between Vertex3, Intel 510 and Crucial M4 SSD. They all seem to be very interesting but unfortunately I can buy any one of them. I wanted to know which one of them is a better performer. Does anyone got any information related to these three SSD or any personal experience of using anyone of them then please share the experience with me and guide me to get rid of this confusion. Suggestion will be appreciated. Please help me. Thanks in advance.

Re: Vertex3 SSd vs Intel 510 SSD vs Crucial M4 SSD

The best solution for this problem is to read as much reviews as you can related to them. Reviews will give you a proper detail about how a particular SSD performs in different conditions and specifications. I have gone through few reviews and share it with you.
    • The OCZ Vertex 3 is a Generation 3 (G3) SSD. It has got the new SandForce SF2281 controller, 25nm NAND, and is capable with SATA III which allows the data transfer of 6GB/s.
    • On the other hand, the Intel 510 is still a Generation 2 (G2) SSD. It has also got the SATA III (6GB/s) capability but uses 34nm NAND. I am not sure about the controller but it is said that Intel would be using a Marvel controller. The Intel 510 is the updated version of X25 M. I am hoping that Intel will soon launch its Generation 3 (G3) series of SSD's like the OCZ Vertex
    • The new Crucial M4 also has 25nm NAND like Vertex 3, which indicates a performance hit. But the new controllers of Crucial M4 and improvements in other components are expected to improve the performance by over 20% over the previous Crucial C300 drives.

Even though the Intel 510 uses 34nm NAND, cell size larger than the 25nm NAND provided by the other two SSD, it will provide you a more reliable and long-lasting cell. The only hitch is that larger cells will cost high per byte. Larger 34nm NAND means better and faster SSD from consumer’s point of view. The Intel 510 is way different from the Intel Gen2 drives because it uses a Marvell controller and not the usual Intel's own controller. According to me the controller is everything. According to me if you are planning to continue using the 3Gbs SATA, then the Intel X25-M will have an upper hand over the Vertex3 on 3Gbs SATA and if you are planning to go for 6Gbs, then Vertex3 will easily defeat everything currently available. The Intel 510 runs up to 470MB/s while Reading data and 315MB/s while writing. It is compatible with Intel 6 Series Express Chipsets.
    Pros:
    • As it has got 34nm NAND, it provides with higher write-cycles
    • Controllers are not from Intel but are very good.
    • Very good performance over legacy and SATA 6.0Gbps connections

Cons:
    • It is little slower than X25-M in some areas.
    • huge gap in speed as compared to the latest SandForce models

The OCZ Vertex 3 has got SandForce SF-2281 processor with 25nm NAND. It has the max read speed of 550MB/s and max write speed of 525MB/s. Vertex 3 comes in 120Gb and 240Gb storage capacity. The OCZ Vertex 3 is truly a unique and exciting SSD. With up to 69% faster speeds in real-world conditions it had made itself the fastest SATA SSD available in the current market.
    Pros
    It will surely put other SSDs currently available in the market to shame in our real world benchmarks.Along with very great performance; good pricing makes it a very good choice.
    Cons
    The performance drops a little compared to SF-1200 drives when vertex 3 is connected over SATA 3GB/s. The power consumption is relatively higher than the older SF-1200 models.

Crucial M4 SSDs will be available in: 64 GB, 128GB, 256GB and 512GB storage capacity. The M4 is build upon the achievements and performance which Micron gave with C300> it is projected that the M4 will deliver 17% step up in performance, with up to 415MB/s read and 260MB/s writes (512 GB M4 or C400). It will be using Marvell 88SS9174-BLD2 processor with Micron 25nm NAND Flash Memory multi-level cell. It is compatible with Compatible with SATA 3Gbps and SATA 6Gbps. The endurance specification for 128GB, 256 GB and 512 GB storage is 72 terabytes. That means over the expected 5 year life of an SSD, a user would be able to write 40GB of data to the drive every day. Whereas the endurance specification for 64 GB storage is 36 terabytes TBW, which gives the users to write 20GB of date every day for 5 years.

Thank you all for your quick and genuine replies. They were really helpful. As you people suggested, I have also started reading reviews about the OCZ Vertex 3, Intel 510 and the crucial M4. I have noticed this point in many reviews that the gamers and enthusiasts are not much happy with the performance of Intel 510. But in the mainstream side, Intel 510 has got very good reviews for its capability to handle large incompressible files efficiently as compared to others. After reading all the reviews, I wish to have enough money to purchase several different SSD’s available in the market and test them in my own system and check out how they perform in it.