Thread: Vertex 3 SSD vs Revodrive x2 SSD

Vertex 3 SSD vs Revodrive x2 SSD

Hi I am running Windows XP in my computer. Currently I have 160 GB hard disk and am planning to buy a new SSD for myself. I am confused between which one to buy, either the Vertex 3 128 GB or should I buy a RevoDrive 120 GB. The Vertex 3 is yet to come in market and the RevoDrive is available. So can anyone suggest me whether I should wait for the Vertex 3 or should I buy the available RevoDrive. It would be very helpful if someone provide me with the suggestions.

Re: Vertex 3 SSD vs Revodrive x2 SSD

Before buying the SSD you should have some basic information about your motherboard. Make sure that you know whether the SSD you planning to buy are compatible with your motherboard (in other words whether they will be supported by your motherboard) or there is no meaning buying them if they are not supported by your motherboard. Does your Motherboard have SATA III (6GB/s) ports to support them? If they do support then I would recommend you to wait until the final version of OCZ Vertex 3 is available in the market and you buy it.

According to me Revodrive x2 would me a better choice. You will love it if you have an empty x4 PCI-e slot. Also 4 x PCI-e provides the user with larger bandwidth then the one provided by Sate III. I am using a 256GB Revodrive x2. It reads at the rate of 700+ MBS and writes at the rate of over 650+MBS. Many people say that it is hard to configure and comes with issues like unable to support few motherboards but it never occurred to me. Revodrive X2 uses garbage collection.

I am also having this same doubt whether to wait for the Vertex 3 or to buy the RevoDrive x2. I searched a lot about their pros and cons and I came across this thing. Since RevoDrive uses PCI-E, it has this one particular problem. Even though the Motherboard has 3x PCI-Ex16, two of them share bandwith with each other, most of which is taken by the video card, and the 3rd shares bandwidth with USB 3.0, so if you wish to use this slot in x4 mode then it wouldn't work. That's why I have decided to wait for vertex 3 instead of buying RevoDrive x2 right now.

Thank you everyone for your quick posts. It was very kind of you people to give those genuine replies. They were really helpful. They somewhat gave me the brief idea about Revodrive x2 and the Vertex 3 SSD both. After reading the pros and cons of both the SSD I have decided to wait for some more time and purchase the Vertex 3 when it is launched in the market. Thanks again for your kind favour.