Thread: How to change the IDE Mode of ACHI Controller

How to change the IDE Mode of ACHI Controller

I need some help with the ACHI controller. It looks that it is in IDE mode and how to put that back on ACHI. I do not the exact steps for that but I heard that this can damage my operating system. I ready for that. I had moved my data to an different drive so that in case if Windows crash I can re-install my current operating system and get things work back again. I had just got a new hard drive and there is already one working on the system. I just want to change the settings and no major changes. What you think about this.

Re: How to change the IDE Mode of ACHI Controller

The process is a bit complicated but possible. You can enjoy a little manipulation that does not cost much. You can simply increased tolerance of your hard drive with windows 7.I personally used this manipulation, so that my motherboard to recognize a device by connecting ESATA hot. Without AHCI drivers, my brand new disk will not be recognized without rebooting my computer. AHCI can enjoy NCQ technology that optimizes the movement of the read heads of hard drives. So by that you can simply gain more performance of your hard drive.

It is correct that this can be done and a more performance can be gained. This is best suitable for multitasking. I found that by this process you can improve your drive performance and also it reduces the noise generated by the drivers. But you must take care the performance things only depends on the hard drive used. This can directly led to serious BSOD errors on your system. So if you are ready then just go in bios and check the AHCI setting and enable them.

Take care that you must have the AHCI as an option in the bios of your computer. So you will need to enable the same from BIOS first. Then later allow your operating system to install the AHCI drivers. After that you will need to click on start and then type regedit. This will open registry editor in your system. Look for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ msahci. Right click and click on Edit. Type 0 in the box and then click ok. Now exit and reboot your system. Entire bios and enable AHCI.

It is heavy very risky. At first you will need to have AHCI drivers as the most important part to optimize the operation. Also you must check for the most recent driver or firmware update from the manufacturer of chipset. You can look them on the official site. Under Windows 7 and the Windows Vista drivers are generic but they do not exploit the hardware to the best of his ability. So if you are a beginner then better avoid playing with the settings. Uninstall the IDE driver and pass the bios in AHCI can do things in Vista / 7.

It is a SATA then you must check the same at the time of installation. Windows XP has some SATA drivers, and version of Windows XP SP2 and behave almost everyone. However, if this is not your case or if you know what you do, nothing beats the latest drivers directly from the manufacturer of your motherboard. In my Windows XP has always put the IDE first. The installation of Windows XP handles very poorly SATA. It is impossible to install Windows XP on c: \ and the greater your chances of having an error message when rebooting.