Thread: BIOS recognize either hard drive or DVD ROM, not both

BIOS recognize either hard drive or DVD ROM, not both

I am having a desktop computer at my home I am using this computer since two years. Recently my DVD ROM went bad. It does not read the any DISK so I decided to buy new DVD ROM. Previously I had DVD combo not DVD ROM. Problem is that when I connect it to my machine my bios does not recognize it. When I remove the hard disk and connect only DVD ROM it is recognized by BIOS. I mean to say my bios recognize one of them only not both at same time. It was not problem with my old DVD combo. Is it problem in newly bought DVD ROM or there need to do some setting please let me know.

Re: BIOS recognize either hard drive or DVD ROM, not both

You came at the right place here you will sure get the proper solution to your problem. It seems that it is due to the jumper setting. Both the devices are at master level so when you connect only one is detected which is at port 0. When you disconnect one device then it work properly. It is recognized by your BIOS. So I suggest you to remove the jumper from the DVD ROM you bought this time and set the jumper to secondary one. Then try to start your PC and whether you can see both the devices or not

From my point of view in above post is providing proper solution to your problem. This is cause when you can see only one device at a time not both. Once I have faced this problem. I tell you what I did to come over this problem. I have removed the jumper pin from the both hard disk as well as CD ROM. And put the hard disk into port0 and CD ROM to port 1. My BIOS recognized both devices. And I made CD ROM as first bootable divice and hard disk as second bootable device .

I have also facing similar kind of the problem. If anybody have solution please let me know. I have already 500 GB sata hard disk connected to my machine. I got a used hard disk from my friend. It has IDE connection like my DVD ROM. When I connect it to my machine. My window does not start. BIOS can detect both the hard disk but no DVD ROM. From this forum I come to know that how to solve the problem between hard drive and CD ROM. But in my case I cannot run my old OS why. Any help would be appreciated.

As per my knowledge I can say that you have the same primary slave problem. BIOS cannot understand from where it has to boot it is booting from newly connected hard disk . So go CMOS setup. Then go to option where second hard is shown from option. There you disable auto detect at startup. Press F10 key to save the change now you can able to start your system normally. But you have solved your problem yet You will not able to see CD ROM for that you have that do jumper setting. This hard disk jumper need to be at slave. Make it. Now you can enjoy.