Thread: Hard Drive failing with iMac

Hard Drive failing with iMac

I have newly downloaded the SMARt utility and when I run that then it shows me that the overall status of the hard drive is failing. I need to ask one thing that if it is probable to make use of an external hard drive with my iMac and install the osx on external hard drive. I am asking this because the entire all the further physical parts will still be apple. Thank you for your help in advance. I wish quick replies on this topic.

Re: Hard Drive failing with iMac

I would like to tell you that the Apple Disk Utility program that is there within the Utilities folder also provides you the SMART status. Is it also showing you failing? What is the cause that you have downloaded this program? Is your iMac been behaving oddly? Is the hard drive which you are using is making noises? I will like to tell you that iMacs can boot from external drives except the most excellent thing is to substitute the hard drive on inside of iMac.

There is one more way by which you will be able to do that. For this, you will be required to have the external hard drive enclosure through a Firewire connection (1394 interface cable). You can purchase an enclosure as well as place your personal hard drives in it otherwise purchase one which has the drive installed. You might require formatting the drive designed for Mac operating system. Once that is completed make use of your Operating System disc and direct software to install onto the external drive.

You can also try to use the software called Carbon Copy. It is available for free. If you search for this on Google then you will easily get that. If you use that then you will find that you will be able to copy your complete hard drive over to Firewire external drive. This copy is nothing but the mirror image of your system. When you are done with that then you will have to modify the boot to boot from the Firewire drive. After completing this, you can make use of it instead of the failing drive.

As for testing the hardware, do you encompass the DVDs which came through the Mac when it was new? That will be a hardware test DVD which you boot as of and run to experiment the hardware. If it is not true then there actually is not much you can perform. You will not perceive this most of the times because most times if you are utilizing the internal otherwise external drive. But the most excellent setup is forever boot and run programs as of an internal drive and if you are by large video otherwise image files then place them on the exterior drive.