Thread: Need information about Samsung Spinpoint F4 EcoGreen HD204UI

Need information about Samsung Spinpoint F4 EcoGreen HD204UI

Actually I was redirected on this forums by Google, when I was searching for an information about Samsung Spinpoint F4. I saw that some user was having an issue with this hard disk, so I concluded that there must be someone who is having knowledge of this HDD. I am new, but I think that I am making no mistake in posting this thread (little bit knowledge about forums ), and hoping that I will get good response from your side soon.

Re: Need information about Samsung Spinpoint F4 EcoGreen HD204UI

Samsung offers the Spinpoint EcoGreen a quiet and energy efficient designed 3.5-inch desktop hard drive F4. The top model has 2 terabytes of storage capacity HD204UI, realized with only three 667-gigabyte magnetic disks. Samsung SpinPoint-addressed with its EcoGreen Series users who are particularly quiet and energy saving designed hard drives do. The application area is a compact business and home PCs with as little noise from hard disks and fans, as well as NAS devices or disk-based receiver. The new Samsung EcoGreen F4 installed first magnetic disks with a 500 to 667 GB of storage capacity increased. The top model with 2 TB of disk space HD204UI thus only three wheels are necessary. As usual for the EcoGreen hard drive, Samsung can rotate the platters at 5400 rpm. When the data buffer can draw Spinpoint EcoGreen F4 HD204UI to 32 MB. The interface is with Samsung SATA II on best surface.

Samsung's locker Point F4 HD204UI already uses the technology internally Advanced Format (AF). With AF are possible in future hard drives higher data densities. It uses AF a sector size of 4 Kbytes, instead of the previous 512 bytes. In particular, Windows XP has with the 4-KByte sectors still various problems, while Windows Vista and Windows 7, the new sector size support automatically. Samsung equips HD204UI therefore the 4 Kbyte sector size and a 512-byte sector emulation. The host system sees the hard drive so with the standard 512-byte sector size. The emulation prevents been problems with Windows XP and various RAID configurations, but can also cost the emulation performance.

Samsung SpinPoint indicates the EcoGreen F4 HD204UI at no load power consumption of 5.1 watts. Read / Write When the energy requirement increases to 6.3 watts. This is the HD204UI for a 2 TB hard disk has sufficient, Western Digital competing specifies the Caviar Green WD20EARS 3.7 (neutral) and 6.0 watts to slightly more economical. Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen F4 HD204UI delivers maximum sequential transfer rate of 137 MByte/s - a very good value at a speed of 5400 rpm. Even the top models in 7200 reached just over 140 MB/s only a slightly higher value. When the disk head positioning is however very slowly to the point. A disappointing performance provides the drive but when writing files. While a very good Spinpoint EcoGreen F2 66.5 MBytes / s provides that creates new EcoGreen only 49.6 MByte/s F4 - without changing cache size of 32 MB. There seems to be in the F4 sector emulation negative impact on the writing performance. Also, when copying the HD204UI is 46.3 MByte/s again after the previous model EcoGreen F2 HD103SI. After all, the SpinPoint F4 HD203UI not hide behind the competition from Western Digital.

The Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen F4 HD204UI convinced the test is very high sequential transfer rates, and quiet operation. In the field tests, the 2-TB-model, however, disappointed in comparison to the older Spinpoint EcoGreen F2. However HD204UI is the most in terms of performance at the level of competing Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS. Clearly can score the Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen HD204UI F4 back with the price. The following are the specifications of it:
    • Interface - SATA 300
    • Speed - 5400 RPM
    • Cache - 32 MB
    • Capacity - 2 TB