Thread: Should I go for Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS?

Should I go for Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS?

I am not having enough knowledge about the Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS which stores 2GB of data. Since, you members provide proper information about the hardware peripherals; I thought to post here to fetch some information from you all. Please tell me should I go for this hard-disk? Is there any drawback of it? I am having doubt on this hard-disk because it stores huge amount of data. So would be waste if I come to know about the problems after purchasing it. Hope that you will provide some information about it soon as possible.

Re: Should I go for Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS?

Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS offered with a power-saving and quiet 3.5-inch desktop hard drive. With only three magnetic disks, the drive 2 TB disk space. The test shows if this is true of the high data density despite the low speed performance. Western Digital is fitting its 2.0-TB Hard Drive Caviar Green WD20EARS with first 667-gigabyte magnetic disks. The high data density in the 2-TB model only three slices is necessary. The current Western Digital Caviar Green with 2 TB capacities with the model name WD20EADS uses four 500-Gbyte disks. When buying essential to the exact model name. The new Western Digital WD20EARS equipped with a generously sized data buffer of 64 MB. The variant Caviar Green WD20EADS has only 32 MB of cache.

Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS delivers with the new technology Advanced Format (AF) from. With AF are in future hard drives higher data densities possible. It uses AF a sector size of 4 Kbytes, instead of the previous 512 bytes. AF has not a direct benefit to the user. While Windows Vista and Windows 7 automatically support the new sector size must be under Windows XP utility WD Align Utility Western Digital used to be. Alternatively, for use with Windows XP jumper on the WD20EARS be set also when only one partition.

Western Digital Caviar Green praised its WD20EARS as a cool, quiet and environmentally friendly. For the quiet operation will make a reduced speed. Accurate information makes the manufacturer, but rotates the discs in the range of 5400 rpm. At idle, the 2-TB model approved according to the manufacturer 3.7 Watt. Read / Write at random, the energy requirement increases to 6.0 watts. For a 2-TB hard drive WD20EARS is thus actually the more economical models. The noise of the hard drive is hardly noticeable. Western Digital's Caviar Green WD20EARS achieved despite reduced speed due to the high data density of the 667-gigabyte magnetic disks is a good maximum sequential read rate of 127 Mbytes / s. min top models with 7200 rpm are around 140 MB / s.

In the field tests in the typical reading, writing and copying of files of different sizes can the WD20EARS due to the higher sequential transfer rate and 64 MB large caches while the WD20EADS (predecessor with four 500-GB disks and 32 MB cache) to a few percentage points drop, the 7200 Competition, however, is often much faster. Western Digital's Caviar Green WD20EARS confident in the test mainly due to the very low noise, low power consumption and good sequential transfer rates. For applications such as video streaming in quiet media PC is therefore ideal hard drive. In applications such as databases, that require a swift requests should rather be used on a 7200 model. The following are the specifications of it:
    • Manufacturer Western Digital
    • Interface SATA 300
    • Speed approximately 5400 RPM
    • Cache 64 MB
    • Capacity 2 TB