Thread: WD1001FALS not showing up on Windows 7 x64

WD1001FALS not showing up on Windows 7 x64

I have got this WD1001FALS 1Tb as another hard disk on my system along with the 320 GB which I am already having, I got this things perfectly installed and the hard disk was working very fine at the initial stages while I was working with the data. But suddenly since a couple of weeks ago I have come to know that the hard disk suddenly gets disappeared when I try to move or copy some data onto it. Now this is happening form quite some time now, as with one time I am getting eth operations completed and the other time I am not getting the operation completed. So guys can some on help me to know what is the problem and what should I do to get it solved.

Re: WD1001FALS not showing up on Windows 7 x64

First of all check out the connection of this hard disk are tight and secure such that there are no loose connection at all to the hard disk since I think that it had to be the problem of the loose connection due to which the hard disk is going unidentified while you begin to carry out any kind of operation like copying or writing. You first check this and then see if you are able to get the problem solved, I hope that it does the trick for you. Even if it doesn’t then please feel free to post again we will surely think of some other solutions.

Hey friend try disabling the sleep/power save mode of your hard disk and see if you are able to get the hard disk to work again normally again. I think that you have kept the sleep/power save mode on and that is why you are getting this hard disk undetected while working on it. If this option is really on then if suppose that you have kept the hard disk non working for some time that is the hard disk is idle then what I think is the hard disk goes into the sleep mode which is why you are getting the hard disk undetected for some time.

Check for the BIOS option for the hard disk that is both IDE and AHCI should be enabled for this hard disk , if suppose that you find the this options are disabled then you should make it enabled, because what I think that if this option is disabled then the hard disk will not function properly. Also try swapping the SATA cables in the hope that the hard disk will function properly after the swapping of the cables because I think that if the cables are wrongly tucked then it can lead to the problem of the hard disk working improperly.

If all the above functions does not work properly for you then what I think is that you should reformat the hard disk and see whether after doing it does the work for you, I believe that it might be that you have not installed the operating system perfectly on the hard disk and that is why you are not able to get the hard disk to function properly on the system, reformat the same again and then see if you can get the hard disk to function properly. I hope that this does solves the matter that you are facing.

Guys I have checked the BIOS settings for the hard disk and have found that all the options are properly enabled that is IDE and AHCI both are properly enabled and I this is the third time in a row that I have formatted the hard disk. I have also found that the sleep mode of the hard disk is also off so I don’t think so that the problem is due to the settings. I have also tried changing the cables that is changing the cables of the hard disk, but still when I try to copy some thing the hard disk goes missing, so can any one help me to know what exactly is the problem and what should I do to solve it.

Hey dude first of all check whether the hard disk does not have any bad sectors area in the hard disk, what I think that if there are some bad sectors areas into the hard disk of yours and if you try to copy the data into that bad sector then what I believe is that the hard disk will go missing from the mother board. To check for the bad sector area run the disk scan at the start of the system that is when your system is about to boot, you will then come to know whether or not your disk is effected by bad memory or not.

Friends what I would want to inform you that the Western Digital hard disk comes with a Data Lifeguard Diagnostic which helps us to know whether or not the disk is effected by any sorts of error in it. If have been provided with this toll then it is good for you, if not then what I think is that you will have to download the same from the internet and then install the same on your WD hard disk and run the same in order to know that does the WD hard disk of your is having any kind of problem as such. If it detects any error then you will have to replace the hard disk. So first do this and then see what happens

Guys I have all the solutions that have provided into the above post I have checked the bad sector area of the hard disk and I have come to know that there wasn’t any kind of bad sector in the hard disk that I am using. The disk scan didn’t found any such grey area inside the hard disk. Also, as suggested I even downloaded and ran the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic on my hard disk in order to find any error in the disk and the result was no error detected, so can some one help me to know that what should I do next in order to get this problem solved.

The only thing that is remaining is that you must contact the Western Digital help support and inform them about the problem that you are currently facing with the hard disk. They really have a good image for the company and will surely help you in making and solving this issue as early as possible. If you are still in the guarantee period then I think that they will replace the same hard disk with a brand new one which will surely function properly and you will get a disk that will be free of errors.

Before really going on and consulting the western digital support staff about the problem that you are having with this hard disk of yours you must first try out this option and see if you are able to get the problem solved by yourself. Try out this options that is the GO to Start - Settings - Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Disk Management. Once you get inside the Disk Management there you will find various options so as to verify, manage and configure the hard disk, you can click on the same and search for the settings that you think is not perfect and see what happens after making the changes.