Thread: How do I connect SATA HDD in a non SATA Motherboard

How do I connect SATA HDD in a non SATA Motherboard

Hi I have an desktop with intel D845GLAD Motherboard, 40GB hdd, win xp pro sp3. I want to purchase a new sata hard drive. now my mobo does not have any sata ports. on searching the net, I found there are two options of connecting SATA HDD to ide motherboards:

1. SATA TO IDE Adapter.
    2. SATA PCI Card.

I want to know which one of these is faster, and which one can give full performance speed from the sata drive, as in 150MB/s sata or 300MB/s sata.

Also what advantages or disadvantages does each have? please help..

Re: How do I connect SATA HDD in a non SATA Motherboard

For doing so you required a Sata card, buy one and insert it in the PCI slot. Once done, connect your new Sata HDD to the same and you will be done.Or else you will need an adaptor to convert your Sata HD into an ide drive that will allow you hook it up like an ide drive.

Quote Originally Posted by maq.h View Post
    For doing so you required a Sata card, buy one and insert it in the PCI slot. Once done, connect your new Sata HDD to the same and you will be done.Or else you will need an adaptor to convert your Sata HD into an ide drive that will allow you hook it up like an ide drive.
    yes but if I use the adaptor, I guess the sata drive will be only as fast as an ide drive, right?

Instead, through the PCI card ,the sata drive will be faster and perform to its full capabilities and features..please correct me if I am wrong..

What you have said is true and I just want to tell that Adaptor just acts as an interface between the two things there. Now the thing is that the whole scenario of yours will depend on the Processor speed and the speed of the Sata Drive that you are using there. Using the PCI card will be a better idea to go with. By this you will be able to see the scenario getting a little bit faster. I am sure that you must have like the suggestion.